Metrorail train service provider South Africa
South Africa
  • The train service is monopolized by a company called Metrorail, and in all honesty, I am terribly, terribly disappointed with their service and my disappointment spans over six years of experience

• by Jayscribe

With the 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP coming to South Africa, it is imperative for the people of the world to know what to expect when they come to South Africa to come and witness the world’s greatest spectacle.

While infrastructure in South Africa is relatively well developed in most parts, including roads and buildings, malls and stadiums, one very important aspect that lags behind is the public transport sector.

As a twenty-year-old student without a car of my own, I make use of the train as my main medium of transport, simply because it is the cheapest and most easily accessible to me. The train service is monopolized by a company called Metrorail, and in all honesty, I am terribly, terribly disappointed with their service and my disappointment spans over six years of experience.

The train stations themselves could do with a bit of a beauty face-lift while the railways are well developed and in good condition, as they are used

by the greater contingency, called Spoornet, of which Metrorail is merely a division. Spoornet specializes in the delivery of heavy goods, while the Metrorail division transports commuters. The Metrorail trains are mostly in good running condition and new trains are being built and phased in, and I must say, they score big in the looks department for me.

However, my sincere unhappiness lies with the commuter service itself, quite honestly it is awful. I am really not happy, to put it mildly! The trains are always, but always late and most of them are so full that people hang outside the doors like monkeys. The worst time is during peak hours when children are going to and coming back from school, and adults are going to and coming back from work alike. Some people even ride between coaches as a result of the lack of space in the somewhat big twelve coaches that constitute one train. This is caused by ...

• the fact that everybody wants to get onto the first train that they see because of not wanting to risk waiting for another one that might show up, up to an hour late.

What I am unhappy about the most is the poor management that results in the trains being late. There is not a single day in which the trains all run on time, and I am sincerely not exaggerating. I have also developed a saying which I stigmatize with the newer, better looking trains that are being gradually phased in. “What good is a beautiful train if it is late?”! I stay near campus now and I’m planning on buying a car very soon so as to escape the frustration associated with the poor services of Metrorail.

What gives me greater grief is the fact that there is a “Business Class” train that I cannot use because it only stops at selected locations, and this train is never late.

This goes to prove that Metrorail can improve their services if they really want to, but because they are monopolizing the railways, and are the cheapest form of transport for the masses, they know that they can afford to provide poor service delivery and still maintain their multi-million client base.

Any tourist coming to the shores of South Africa is strongly advised not to even think about using the train to get around as you will be severely frustrated to the limit.

The South African rand is about nine to the American dollar so anybody with foreign currency can easily afford transport modes such as private taxi cabs, which are otherwise too expensive for the average local South African citizen to use daily.

Metrorail, which is the only commuter train service, apart from the less prominent long distance service providers, is a total “no-no”. Do not even think about using their train service if you have more money to spend on something better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 44311505880730/k2311a113/11.3.08