Slalom for NES  » Games  »
  • If I failed a course, I started from the beginning, but I found having to replay the previous courses to be motivating, as I was improving on my time on the previous courses, while gaining skill to beat the one I had failed on
  • I like how the courses are under two minutes each, meaning when I fail, it doesn't take long to get back where I was
  • I think this is because there's no life bar I have to constantly worry about

• by ReviewDragon

This game simulates skiing, and for being made in 1986, does a great job of it. There are three slopes you can choose from, each containing eight courses. If I failed a course, I started from the beginning, but I found having to replay the previous courses to be motivating, as I was improving on my time on the previous courses, while gaining skill to beat the one I had failed on. I like how the courses are under two minutes each, meaning when I

fail, it doesn’t take long to get back where I was.

This game is relaxing, yet challenging. I think this is because there’s no life bar I have to constantly worry about. Instead, I can ignore any mistakes I make, and increase my efforts toward making it to the goal before time runs out. The graphics are crisp, the sound effects clean, and the gameplay smooth. When running into another skier from the side, I just bounce off instead of crashing. Even when I run into ...

• trees, I don’t always wipe out, but instead just spin forward a few times, and land on my feet. Even when I do wipe out, the music acknowledges it by resetting, and it only takes a couple seconds to get back up to max speed.

At one point, I saw myself braking for some reason, and thought the controller was broken. I then realized that if I didn’t go through the flags, I would slow down. The ice-bumps are fun to ramp off of, and sometimes

helpful in that I can jump over things with them, but they really just act to slow me down. The people sledding up the hill (still not sure how that’s possible) add moving objects that must be dodged, and has often caused me a lot of crashes.

The steepness of the slope and the sharpness of the turns were simulated well, and makes the game more thrilling–if an NES game can be that. This is a fun game that anyone who owns an NES should have.

Slalom for NES

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28211504980130/k2311a112/11.2.08