Compaq Presario SR5518F  » Laptops  »
1.0
  • I should have really been suspicious when the store wanted my number so that they could check in with me in a couple weeks to make sure the computer was working out ok

• by auriel3000

Just as I was moving, my 6 year-old Dell crashed. With only 72 hours before I was leaving the state, and with tons of online and other nonsense to deal with, I HAD to have a computer that I could use. Even though I had little money to spare with all I had already spent on the move, it was a necessary purchase. This lead me to make a horrible mistake in purchasing the Compaq Presario SR5518F.

The initial red flags were there, but so was my lack of time avaialable to make an informed consumer decision. For one thing, it was the cheapest thing in the store - plus they were offering it

at a hundred dollars off! Wow - a computer tower 250GB Hard drive and other great features for only $297 - this must be my lucky day!

I should have really been suspicious when the store wanted my number so that they could “check in with me in a couple weeks to make sure the computer was working out ok”. Hmmm….

This is where I goofed. I should’ve taken this sucker back to the store (there was 14 day money-back guarantee from the store) before I left, but again, the time restraints. Within 2 days of using, this thing was randomly shutting down. A week later it randomly decided to restore to the day ...

• it came out of the box, and digital photos I had uploaded from our trip up north were wiped out - not to mention my new job resume. I also found out once I started really putting it to use that Windows is NOT included, only the 60-day free trial! So that would add another $150 to my purchase eventually.

Supposedly, Norton was pre-installed as well so that we had virus coverage. Oddly, the only thing Norton ever discovered in system scans was one lone tracking cookie which we always deleted. Well - the more this thing kept shutting down, experiencing problems and needing to close, somewhat like a VIRUS would cause - we

decided to download a trusted free anti-virus program and double-check. Gee - once it did its scan it found 36 viruses and 12 trojans and a few lone Worms for good measure! Nice going Norton.

I could go on and on about not being able to download Adobe Reader because of a data stream error, and then finally getting it to install, and so on and so on. Maybe I got the bad apple. In case you are desperate and broke like me, the specs on this pile of junk are: the afore-mentioned 250 GB, 2048MB, Intel Pentium Dual-Core Desktop Processor E2180, DVD/CD burner with LightScribe, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100, and of course, Norton.

Don’t do it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 633110504070931/k2311a1031/10.31.08