Death Match by Lincoln Child
1.0
  • I found this book to be a below average thriller and I correctly guessed the identity of the killer about halfway through
  • The idea has been around since the 1960s (in classic Star Trek episodes) if not earlier, so I'm very disappointed in this book
  • The beginning of the story was interesting and I soon found myself thinking up all sorts of possibilities of what was happening, but about halfway through it became obvious to me, even if the detective himself hadn't guessed
  • The end was boring beyond belief and I was tempted to simply put the book down without finishing or skipping to the end
  • Still, there's not many reasons to recommend this book

• by Sarah B

This is the second stand-alone book I’ve read by Lincoln Child. I found this book to be a below average thriller and I correctly guessed the identity of the killer about halfway through. Truthfully, there’s nothing that original about this plot at all - it’s very cliché. Books need originality these days to do well and original thinking is in high demand: I’m not sure why the book publisher approved this old idea of computers committing murder. Perhaps he thought thriller readers

don’t watch or read science fiction? The idea has been around since the 1960s (in classic Star Trek episodes) if not earlier, so I’m very disappointed in this book.

The beginning of the story was interesting and I soon found myself thinking up all sorts of possibilities of what was happening, but about halfway through it became obvious to me, even if the detective himself hadn’t guessed. I found the second half rather dull and nothing very exciting happened. There were no ...

• sudden surprises or anything. The end was boring beyond belief and I was tempted to simply put the book down without finishing or skipping to the end. Personally, I’d rather read something that’s a bit more unique and original than this - although I did plod through until I reached the end. Still, there’s not many reasons to recommend this book.

The plot revolves around a very successful matchmaking company. A giant, very advanced computer does the matchmaking itself. Clients take several

tests, answer pages of various questions and then are matched up with someone. Every so often there is a Super Couple: people who match up perfectly on all their scores. Someone is killing the Super Couples but makes it look like suicide and the company hires a detective to find out whom before it ruins their business. The detective goes around and does the usual: visits the scenes of the crime, interviews people who knew them and then starts investigating the matchmaking company itself.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 173010503160631/k2311a1030/10.30.08