Veldheer’s Tulip Farm Holland, Michigan  » Travel  »
Holland, Michigan
  • When we went there last spring, we were in for a wonderful delight because that is the best time to visit Veldheer's
  • There are also other things being sold there but I just can't forget the very delicious almond cookies we bought there
  • Be sure to get one and you'll never regret it
  • Unfortunately, the day we were there, there is no on going production

• by lipsticknladdles

When you visit Holland, Michigan, it means you’re expecting to see fields and fields of beautiful tulips. This is what they are known for. When we went there last spring, we were in for a wonderful delight because that is the best time to visit Veldheer’s. You need to pay $7 entrance fee that is surely worth it all. Veldheer’ s is Holland, Michigan’s only tulip farm that plants 5 million tulips, along with 50,000 daffodils, 10,000 hyacinths and 20,000 crocus.

There are also lilies, daylilies and peonies. It is breathtakingly beautiful to walk between aisles of tulips. There are different colors and different sizes of flowers which are all equally magnificent. Being a woman, it is but natural for me to fall in love with this wonderful sight of flowers.

I am always delighted when my husband gives me

a few pieces of tulips, so that warm feeling is magnified hundred times where I saw this tulip field. I cannot stop my self from taking pictures. A tulip field this beautiful amidst a traditional Dutch inspired ambience is indeed a pleasure to the senses of the visitors of Veldheer’s. People from all over the world as well as locals of Michigan will never ever get tired of being in this delightful garden.

There are also windmills, drawbridges and canals that enhance the beauty of the place. A bonus to all these, we also saw a herd of American buffalo. There were 19 of them gathered on one side of the farm. Visitors were allowed to get near them but not too close.

They are huge and strong animals that is not often found in zoos so children and ...

• adults alike will enjoy watching them for sure. After the walk to the tulip farm and watching the buffalos, we dropped by their souvenir shop were thousands and thousands of tulip bulbs, and other flower bulbs were sold. There are also other things being sold there but I just can’t forget the very delicious almond cookies we bought there. Be sure to get one and you’ll never regret it.

Outside the souvenir shop, there is still another extra that goes with the $7 that you paid for, you get to go and see the Delft and DeKlomp Wooden Shoe Factory. Delftware are Dutch pottery that is famous all around the world. Veldheer’s is the only production facility in North America. There we saw different hand painted pottery items, the tools and materials used and the place where it is made.

Unfortunately, the day we were there, there is no on going production. But the wooden shoe factory is operating. We saw how these wooden shoes were produced from a block of poplar wood that is placed in Dutch machinery. They have lots of shoes available in various sizes and can be customized according to your desired color and design.

It makes a good souvenir or it can even be practical footwear for gardening. We did not have any difficulty in parking because we arrived a little early. Many people visit this place so parking may be hard if you come late. I must also warn future visitors that only portable toilets are available in this area.

That’s the only complain I have as I am not that comfortable using them. Other than that, this place is a wonderful place to visit. Highly recommended!

barbara says :

I want to work in a tulip farm woul that be posible?

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382910502420431/k2311a1029/10.29.08