Cold Spring Village, Cape May, New Jersey
Route 9, Cape May, New Jersey
  • I enjoyed sitting at a desk in the Marshallville School, a restored old schoolhouse with a homey ambiance, listening intently to the costumed teacher talking about 19th century schoolchildren and what life was like for them
  • I loved the ice cream parlor, decked out in bright blue walls at the time, and one of the best things we did at Cold Spring Village was the horse-and-buggy ride

• by Lacie

Years ago, when I first started to get interested in history, we went down to the beautiful town of Cape May, New Jersey and saw all the typical sites, including the striking white lighthouse. Our major tour stop was Cold Spring Village, a restored 19th century village with costumed interpreters who were engaged in all kinds of old-fashioned activities.

Some of my best memories from Cold Springs Village include standing in the stocks at Cape May Point Jail (this made for some hilarious photo opportunities) and walking around inside

the authentically restored buildings like the Dennisville Inn and the workshops. I enjoyed sitting at a desk in the Marshallville School, a restored old schoolhouse with a homey ambiance, listening intently to the costumed “teacher” talking about 19th century schoolchildren and what life was like for them.

I loved the ice cream parlor, decked out in bright blue walls at the time, and one of the best things we did at Cold Spring Village was the horse-and-buggy ride. Since it was my birthday, I was allowed to ride up ...

• front beside the woman who showed us around the grounds. It was nice getting a “horse’s-eye view” of the village, clopping around in a bumpy wagon and seeing the historical homes just as people in the 1800s would have done. This fueled my interest in 19th century life and the old towns of the pioneers.

Though Cold Spring Village has changed a bit throughout the years, the layout of the place has stayed pretty much the same into 2008. The old buildings at the village were all taken from

other places in the area so none actually stood here in the 1800s, but they are all authentically restored. Cold Spring Village opens at 10:00 and closes at 4:30; those considering a visit will have to check the website because information varies by month.

The village is only a few miles from Cape May, a lovely Victorian town that is well worth the visit. Cold Spring Village admission is currently (2008) $8.00 per adult. Kids get in for $6.00, or, if they’re under three, there is no admission fee.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382910502220431/k2311a1029/10.29.08