Alpo Al’s Grill dog treats, steak flavor  » Pets  »
  • I like to keep treats on hand for my dog, not only for training, but also to reward him for keeping up the good behavior that he has already learned

• by Tessa Dick

I like to keep treats on hand for my dog, not only for training, but also to reward him for keeping up the good behavior that he has already learned. And sometimes just because I love him!

Al’s Grill steak flavored treats are a hit with my dog, who will eat anything but really enjoys doggie junk food. I give them to him sparingly, so as not to hurt his health or ruin his appetite for his regular food. He loves them so much that I have to hide the bag. If he sees it, he starts fussing at me to give him a treat.

I picked up these dog treats on a whim, and now my

dog insists that I buy then regularly. Bandit is a 100-pound Rottweiler mix, a big, friendly bulldozer of a dog who loves to be petted and is always hungry. He begs for these treats more often than I am willing to give them, since I am concerned about his health.

They’re made by Alpo, the same company that makes my dog’s regular food. Alpo is a Purina company, so I tend to trust them. I grew up feeding Purina products to various pets, including rabbits and horses. Yes, they do make rabbit chow and horse chow!

Well, these are supposed to be flamed broiled steaks, and they are shaped like steaks. My dog doesn’t ...

• care about the looks of the treats, but I like them. Purina knows how to make treats that appeal to the people who buy them, as well as the dogs who eat them. Each treat is about two inches “square” in the shape of a T-bone steak, and colored a reddish brown like a steak. They even smell like steak, and I’m sure that Bandit appreciates that.

I like the plastic pouch that they come in. I can actually “tear here” to open it, which is not always the case with packages that say “tear here”. And the Ziploc closure is easy to open and close, to keep the treats fresh.

They do contain wheat

and soy, as well as some artificial ingredients, so they do not qualify as health food for my dog. They are more like doggie junk food. They even contain some sugar!

The analysis on the back of the resealable plastic bag that they come in says that they have

12% crude protein 5% crude fat 3.5% crude fiber 32% moisture

You can contact Purina about this product on their web site (Purina dot com)

or their toll free phone number .

1-800-551-7392

I would never give Bandit more than one of these per day, but he would love to have the whole package every ten minutes or so.

Given sparingly, these treats are a good reward for good doggie behavior.

Thank you so much for reading my review!

~~~

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292910501690331/k2311a1029/10.29.08