Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport
Racha Thewa in the Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan province, 30 kilometers east of Bangkok
  • The new Bangkok airport, pronounced as su-wan-na-poom, is definitely worth the wait
  • I enjoyed the exercise, but my parents preferred the walkways
  • I was a bit disappointed with the litter left by some people in the fast food area, but there were janitors nearby who immediately cleaned up the mess
  • TIPS My biggest regret is spending so much money on a restaurant on the ledge because when we asked one of the airport personnel where we could eat, he pointed us there
  • The best part is getting money back from excess sales taxes from my shopping sprees

• by online_girl

The new Bangkok airport, pronounced as “su-wan-na-poom,” is definitely worth the wait. Reconstruction took some time, but the results are fantastic. The architecture of the facility has a modern and clean look, and both local and international flights are made available at the the new Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport

FACILITIES Some of the facilities in the airport include: * 130 passport control checkpoints for arrivals, 72 for departures.

* 26 customs control checkpoints for arrivals, 8 for departures.

* 22 baggage conveyor belts. The sheer number of baggage conveyor belts makes baggage claiming fast and easy.

* 360 check-in counters. There are 100 additional counters for passengers without luggage. All are labeled by numbers and letters, which can be quite confusing at first because some labels are hidden. if you get

lost, you can just ask for directions because the people at the airport are generally helpful and friendly.

* 107 moving walkways. For an airport so huge, walking may be a hardship for some. I enjoyed the exercise, but my parents preferred the walkways. The walkways were a bit slow though, so if you’re in a hurry then just use your own two feet.

* 102 elevators. I really didn’t see that many. I think I only rode one or two of these.

* 83 escalators. They have some really cool escalators that curve in the middle, making it look like a very flat S shape instead of the traditional diagonal line.

* Boots stores for you last-minute shopping.

* Duty Free stores for even more shopping.

* Muslim prayer room ...

• for the devout

CLEANLINESS I found the airport very clean and hygienic. Soap and paper napkins were abundant in all the washrooms. I was a bit disappointed with the litter left by some people in the fast food area, but there were janitors nearby who immediately cleaned up the mess. The place was generally immaculate though.

TIPS My biggest regret is spending so much money on a restaurant on the “ledge” because when we asked one of the airport personnel where we could eat, he pointed us there. It was apparently one of the very many dining places in the airport. On the lower level of the airport, you’ll find smaller restaurants and eateries. After checking in, you can still grab a bite because there are even more restaurants inside the airport! Bangkok

really is a food place as much as it is a shopping place, so choose your food wisely and save that stomach space!

Speaking of food, the native delicacies sold in the duty free shops can be bought in groceries and supermarkets in the city for a better price. The chocolates and luxury items are quite affordable though.

When leaving Bangkok, don’t forget to file your receipts and take advantage of the tourist discount. The process was very simple to do and didn’t take a lot of time. The best part is getting money back from excess sales taxes from my shopping sprees.

When looking for a cab, don’t talk to the ladies inside the airport because they’ll charge you a very exorbitant fee. You can directly proceed to the taxi waiting line right outside of the airport where you’ll be assigned a taxi for a fair price.

Mark says :

I want to ask you if I will arrive to the Bangkok International airport, what I am allowed to bring in or not allowed to bring in ,for example some food from other countries? Thank you.

Marg says :

You can check the prohibited items for Thailand here, Bangkok International is in Thailand:

online_girl replies :

I don`t really know what`s allowed by the immigration because I was also a visitor myself. We only brought in some clothes and that`s it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 402810500180231/k2311a1028/10.28.08