The MacBook Air  » Laptops  »
1.5
  • This laptop is so slim and sexy which I think you can even slide it under a door
  • The 13-inch glossy widescreen TFT LED backlit display is simply amazing
  • The only thing that I don't like about the glossy display is it is very difficult to look at the screen when I am using it near the window or outside in an open space
  • Well, if you are looking for superb performances from the MacBook Air, you will be very disappointed
  • Those who agree with me, please raise your hand

• by flowerhorn

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the MacBook Air last week in our local computer shop. This laptop is so slim and sexy which I think you can even slide it under a door. Checking out its spec, I find that its thickness is less than 2cm. Wow! It is probably the world thinnest laptop ever produced. I think when it comes with Apple logo, looks is a very BIG selling factor in their products. If you are a frequent flier, having the MacBook Air will sure to draw everyone attentions as it so beautiful made with its curvy and stylish edges.

I think that this is the only laptop that you can put on your lap without worrying. You won’t feel the associated intense heat output by the normal laptops out

there. This is made possible by a special version of the 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo processor that consumes less power.

The 13-inch glossy widescreen TFT LED backlit display is simply amazing. It is so crisp and bright and offer plenty of space screen. The only thing that I don’t like about the glossy display is it is very difficult to look at the screen when I am using it near the window or outside in an open space. I wonder whether Apple really put enough research into coming out with a glossy display.

Typing on the Air’s full size keyboard is a pleasure as its separated keys design feel so tactile, solid and sturdy.

I only manage to use the laptop for 3.5 hours for surfing and ...

• some audio playback before the next recharge. It is nowhere near the 5 hours claimed by Apple. Another empty promise from Apple?

Well, if you are looking for superb performances from the MacBook Air, you will be very disappointed. I find that the MacBook Air runs very slowly in comparison to its peers.Other than the slowness in its operation, the 80 GB 1.8 inch hard disk access is also very slow. Now I know why! Do you know that the hard disk is the same type that is used in many portable media devices. How can they used those types of hard disk and put it into something as grand as the MacBook?

Another shocking thing that I discovered in the MacBook is that RAM is not upgradeable. You might say that with an integrated

2 GB of RAM built into the system is sufficient but how about a couple of years down the road? Would they be sufficient anymore? Is it so difficult and space consuming to put in a RAM slot into the MacBook? Those who agree with me, please raise your hand.

Well, I must say I am very disappointed with the overall performance of the laptop. Looks and performance seem to hit the chart on the opposite ends. What’s a waste. If Apple could keep in the same side, they will have a winner here. But for those of you out there who have tons of money and look is on your first priority, you would be very happy to get the MacBook as it will boost up your image.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632710499750231/k2311a1027/10.27.08