Acer Aspire One  » Laptops  »
  • It is an 9 notebook that only cost around $350
  • Even though its price is way below of the competitors in its class, I found that its performance doesn't follow the same path as its price
  • If not, I am going to regret for getting this notebook and might put it up for sale in eBay

• by flowerhorn

If you are on a budget but would like to get a small notebook, take a look at the Acer Aspire One. It is an 9″ notebook that only cost around $350; way cheaper than any notebook in its class. It is powered by the Intel Atom N270 Processor 1.6GHz and has 1 GB DDR2 553 MHz, 8GB Solid State Disk and a 9″ WSVGA display.

As the Aspire One has a glossy screen, colors display on the screen look very bright and clear. If you look carefully, you can notice the white level is leaning a bit towards the blue side which makes it felt that you have a cool color output from the screen. The bad point of having a glossy screen is it is very susceptible to screen reflection and glare. Don’t agree with what I say? Try using this notebook outside and you will know

what I mean.

For 9″ notebook, I shall say that the keyboard is indeed spacious. Of course, you cannot compare it with a full size notebook. The keys are built very solid and didn’t wobble when being pressed. It seemed that Acer didn’t do much cost down on the keyboards as it is very important to keep a good quality keyboard as users will be pressing the keys a lot. Two navigational buttons are located at the lower right hand corner of the keyboard which are the Page UP and Page Down keys. I find that with the usage of these two keys, it makes my web browsing speedier and easier in comparison of using the touch pad. Don’t get me wrong. The performance of the touch pad is quite commendable as it is very responsive to my touch.

Oops! I forget to mention about the sporty ...

• looks of the notebook. The Aspire One has very sleek design with circular edges and glossy finishing surface. Even though the cover come in plastic, you won’t get the feeling that you have bought yourself some cheap plastic product as a lot of quality and consideration works have been put into its design. As the whole notebook feel very rigid and robust, I have no worry in putting it in my bag together with other things in it.

I won’t say the performance of the notebook is excellent but it is decent enough to be used for surfing, word processing and some light graphic editing works. Even though its price is way below of the competitors in its class, I found that its performance doesn’t follow the same path as its price. Thank GOD for that. If not, I am going to regret for getting this notebook and might put

it up for sale in eBay.

The thing I hate most about this notebook is the sound level it output. Maybe Acer want to let its Aspire One user know that they have left their notebook on when not in used. I was shocked when I heard the sound of my cooling fan notebook rotating from as far as 5 meters. I wonder whether the mini cooling fan can put all the heat generated by the components in the notebook away as it does feel very warm touching the surface and keys on the notebook after turning it on for a few minutes. Battery life is miserably short as it can only last around 2.5 hours before it automatically shutdown.

In conclusion, I shall say that the Aspire One is a cheap notebook that has a decent performance plus a solid and robust casing that takes out the worry in handling it.

Acer Aspire One

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632710499680131/k2311a1027/10.27.08