Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series  » Books  »
  • It would have been interesting to have Bella's, Jacob's, and Edward's narration interchange from book one instead of the weirdness of having Jacob's point of view put randomly in book 4
  • I also had an issue with the fact that Edward was the first love Bella ever had, and she was 19 when they got married, and so far didn't go to college, and had a kid at 19
  • I know it was because the Volturis were after her, yadda yadda yadda
  • Though I have a few complaints about them I enjoyed the series very much, and I had to buy all four books to read the whole thing
  • It's addicting despite the organization and the fact that the main female lead I wouldn't consider a good role model

• by Lynn

I have mixed feelings about these books.

First of all, they were a very enjoyable, engaging read and I couldn’t wait to get to the next one.

However, I do have a few issues.

SPOILER

One would be the switched viewpoints in the fourth book, Breaking Dawn. I LOVED the character, Jacob. But this was Bella’s ordeal and for a third party of the book, no matter how central they might become over the course of the series, to have so much time narrating, I was kind of irritated. Why not have Edward’s point of view instead? He interacted with Jacob plenty. Or, better than that, keep it to Bella’s point of view the whole entire time. I LOVED reading about Jacob and fell

in love with the character, but I was hungry to get back to Bella’s narration, because it was so good, the entire time. It didn’t make sense to switch to a third party. It would have been interesting to have Bella’s, Jacob’s, and Edward’s narration interchange from book one instead of the weirdness of having Jacob’s point of view put randomly in book 4. However, it was still enjoyable and the prose was well written, so I cut it SOME slack.

I also had an issue with the fact that Edward was the first love Bella ever had, and she was 19 when they got married, and so far didn’t go to college, and had a kid at 19. Not that anything’s ...

• wrong with that and plenty of people do it and survive. But to put dreams and ambition aside for a man, is irritating. Oh wait; Bella’s only ambition was to become a vampire and have eternal life because she didn’t think she was good enough. Every kid has one great love when they’re a teenager, that’s a given.Every teenager is awkward, that’s a given. But most teenagers I meet have some ambition to finish school and do something with their lives. Edward was immortal, Bella could have waited a few years but she did not. I know it was because the Volturis were after her, yadda yadda yadda … but still. Couldn’t Edward have saved her from that wether or not
        she was a vampire?

That said, pick up the books. Though I have a few complaints about them I enjoyed the series very much, and I had to buy all four books to read the whole thing. It’s addicting despite the organization and the fact that the main female lead I wouldn’t consider a good role model … but really, no one’s perfect and someone’s right choices could be someone else’s wrong choices, if that makes sense. it’s a great book series to get involved in and you will think about it when you’re at work, when you’re asleep, you’ll dream about reading the books, and your thoughts will be consumed with the books once you start reading. In all, a pretty decent series.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172710499130131/k2311a1027/10.27.08