The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe  » Travel  »
Stresemannstrasse 90 D - 10963 Berlin/Germany
  • I do not like to receive the negative experience and I do not like the stressful situations
  • I consider that we have enough cruelty and stress in our everyday life and we have enough such horrible things on the TV, in newspapers and so on
  • But sometimes I think that people have no rights to stay away and to shut up their eyes
  • And I am absolutely agree with the opinion that the Memorial's lack of obvious religious symbolism means that it was not Jewish only

• by Vladlena Nyzhnik

I do not like to receive the negative experience and I do not like the stressful situations. I consider that we have enough cruelty and stress in our everyday life and we have enough such horrible things on the TV, in newspapers and so on. But sometimes I think that people have no rights to stay away and to shut up their eyes.

I have agreed to spend the weekend with my friends and one of my friends has suggested going on excursion. I have never been in this place and

I agreed.

We have visited a place for remembrance and commemoration of six million victims, the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.

The Memorial is situated in the center of the Berlin. It is the field of 2,700 concrete slabs near the Brandenburg Gate. It was designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold. The complex of concrete slabs or the so called “stelae” really produce the horrible impression. Each slab has the unique shape and size from any direction of view. There are no plaques, inscriptions or symbols along ...

• the way of the exposition of slabs of the Memorial.

I think that an abstract design of the Memorial emphasizes the idea of the entire project to recall about the Nazi Germany’s worst and the most terrible crime - the attempt to exterminate an enormous quantity of innocent people only because of their nationality. And I am absolutely agree with the opinion that the Memorial’s lack of obvious religious symbolism means that it was not Jewish only.

I am sure that it was very successful idea to break the tradition of informational museums

and to construct the visitors’ “Place of Information” underneath the stones of the Memorial.

It is impossible to show with words the mournful impression by exhibits and video interviews of Holocaust survivors in the underground visitors’ centre.

And I want to add that it was not an excursion; it is not the suitable word for such horror. I think that the words: ” People, be vigilant!” from the book «Reportage with a loop around his neck» by the writer Julius Fuchik, Czech Resistance hero from the Second World War are important today also.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382610497731031/k2311a1026/10.26.08