Tasmania travel  » Travel  »
Australia
  • Places worth visiting are Orford, its got a great white sandy beach and a number of small take-away joints where I recommend you sample a packet of fish and chips
  • I frankly wasn't inspired by any of the towns along the east coast -I don't think they cater well for tourists however Freycinet Penninsula is a must
  • It's a great travel experience and well worth your time
  • In my opinion the town is not worth the hassle - miss it
  • People come to Tasmania for the spectacular natural views if you are a shopper holic you'll be disappointed

• by Virinia Downham

Tasmania is by far one of the most beautiful states in Australia. The weather is warm in summer and cold in winter. In the mountains and high hills it can snow during winter so remember to pack a good warm rain jacket, a beanie and a pair of gloves. The light is also very bright so a pair of sun glasses is also useful.

Oh and don’t forget to bring a sun hat and sun screen in summer. I see many tourists drive up the east coast of Tasmania. I live on a farm at Runnymede.

My husband and I own the largest cherry orchard on the

east coast of Tasmania. People are always breaking down outside our farm - why? They’ve run out of petrol. I recently went on a car trip up the east coast to take a look at the musch prized holiday destination for many local Tasmanians as well as international tourists.

Here’s the good news - If you travel via the Tasman Highway up the east coast you will see marvelous water views for miles. Places worth visiting are Orford, its got a great white sandy beach and a number of small take-away joints where I recommend you sample a packet of fish and chips. There is also a ...

• good caravan park with basic running water, a toilet/shower and stunning views of the sea.

If you are travelling up to St Helen’s I can’t recommend strongly enough get a full tank of petrol. Tasmanian shops close at 5 in the evening - including all the petrol stations. I frankly wasn’t inspired by any of the towns along the east coast -I don’t think they cater well for tourists however Freycinet Penninsula is a must.

The beach is white sand perfect and you’ll probably have it all to yourself. I would also recommend Maria Island. You can take a ferry out to the island for $25AUS from

Orford or Triabunna and cycle around the old convict settlement.

It’s a great travel experience and well worth your time. One other word of caution the road to St Mary’s is awful, it’s narrow steep with only enough room for one car. In my opinion the town is not worth the hassle - miss it.

St Helen’s is by the coast. The town has a few modern hotels a petrol station some take aways and not much else. If you are strapped for time I wouldn’t waste your time going any further north than Freycinet Penninsula.

People come to Tasmania for the spectacular natural views if you are a shopper holic you’ll be disappointed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382210496460331/k2311a1022/10.22.08