Ford Windstar 1996
1.5
  • In 2001 the automatic transmission broke, and the replacement cost $3000
  • Once I was merging onto an expressway, pushing the accelerator hard to avoid being rear-ended
  • Driving around town, easy on the accelerator, easy on the brakes, and slow thorugh the turns is no problem in this vehicle
  • I cannot recommend the 1996 Ford Windstar
  • I regret buying my 1996 Ford Windstar

• by jamesa9791
      We purchsed our 1996 Ford Windstar minivan in 1998 when it was a couple of years used. We bought it because it has a decent safety rating, can fit six passengers plus the driver, and can carry a lot of cargo with the rear seats removed. The car gave us no problems for the first two years of ownership. In 2001 the automatic transmission broke, and the replacement cost $3000.

Since then the transmission has not had serious problems. Also, one time, a friend driving the car pushed the brake pedal to the floor but the brakes did not work. They released the pedal and pushed again and they

worked.

The transmission has not had any serious problems since it was replaced it has not performed as well as I would have liked. It just does not know how to shift properly. If I drive fast up a hill, then take my foot off the accelerator, it shifts into top gear.

When I step on the accelerator again the engine rattles as it tries to push the car up the hill in 4th gear. I push the gas pedal further towards the floor to get the transmission to downshift and it does so with a loud roar of the engine which sometimes scares my passengers. Once I was ...

• merging onto an expressway, pushing the accelerator hard to avoid being rear-ended.

The engine revved all the way up to redline and then it DOWNSHIFTED. That’s right, it downshifted when it should have upshifted, resulting in the ugliest and scariest redline scream that I have ever heard from an engine. I was relieved that the engine was still running after the transmission corrected its mistake.

Driving around town, easy on the accelerator, easy on the brakes, and slow thorugh the turns is no problem in this vehicle. However, if you push this car too hard you will know it!

Fuel economy for the Windstar is not the EPA 18 city/

22 highway that it should be. I consistently get 15 city/ 20 highway, and that is when I am easy on the accelerator and do not spend more than 30 seconds letting the car idle in the morning.

I cannot recommend the 1996 Ford Windstar. The original transmission broke, and the new one shifts ok in easy driving but makes mistakes when I try to accelerate quickly or accelerate up a hill. Handling and parking are what you would expect of an old minivan: not fun at all.

The brakes have always worked ok but the one time that they failed has me forever scared. I regret buying my 1996 Ford Windstar.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 9230449580730/k2311a0423/4.23.06