Oklahoma Federal Bombing Memorial  » Travel  »
Oklahoma
  • Even though I had watched the bombing news coverage for days by this time, being up close and personal was an entirely different experience
  • In you are anywhere near OKC, I recommend a trip there

• by Izzieshakespeare
      The bomb was the largest act of domestic terrorism in the U. S. It struck the federal Murrah building in OKC and destroyed not only the building but lives of innocent men, women, and children.

Right after the bombing, I appeared on CNN & Company as a public lawyer. CNN just wanted to add some local flavor to the show.

I was seated not too far from the actual building. The damage was so horrific

that my mind almost could not accept it.

Even though I had watched the bombing news coverage for days by this time, being up close and personal was an entirely different experience. Because I have a love for Oklahoma and the sturdy work ethic of the people here, I was incredibly saddened by the event.

The bombing memorial consists of 168 empty chairs, representing the people who died in the building. The chairs sit ...

• on a lawn, to the right of a reflecting pool.

The reflecting pool is flanked on each ends by pillars which bear the times before and after the bombing. The survivor tree stands nearby.

One of the fences still stands, and people still put all kinds of items on the fence to this day. When I visited the memorial site, I was so moved that I understood why people are placing small things, like

gum wrappers or hand-written notes, on the fence.

You just feel like you wish you had something to give, somehow. The memorial is well-donw, with an emphasis on the spirit of good, not evil.

In you are anywhere near OKC, I recommend a trip there. As a side note, the memorial had a small “role” in the movie, “Elizabethtown.

” At any rate, Oklahomans still mourn the innocents to this day, and the memorial can bring surviving victims together.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38230449570730/k2311a0423/4.23.06