Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.4l (1995)
  • I fitted a Goodmans CD Player when I got it, but left the stock speakers in place and I have to say that as stock sound systems go, this was one of the best I ever experienced
  • Every single day, it started without any problems whatsoever, even through the winter when I noticed that alot of newer cars were having problems
  • The engine comfortably handled speed of upto 115mph - I never pushed it faster than this due to the age but I think it could have handled it
  • It was very nippy - I was only 17 at the time, so sometimes I just liked to bear down, wheelspin, and race the car next to me (silly I know) but It never let me down
  • I recommend the 95-96 models as these were the most reliable in my opinion

• by Jasna

This was the second car I ever owned and it was given to me by my dad. It was a 1995 edition Vauxhall/Opel Astra, it was 11 years old when I got it and had 68,000 miles on the clock. It had a 1.4 litre engine.

I fitted a Goodmans CD Player when I got it, but left the stock speakers in place and I have to say that as stock sound systems go, this was one of the best I ever experienced.

The speakers had a good combination of bass and treble which means you could ramp the volume right up to 120db without any problems, rattling, etc, at ALL.

It also had electric windows on all doors and an electric sunroof, air conditioning for the hot summers, and a large boot.

All together, I owned it for two years, and in the two years I owned it, I only had a couple of problems. Every single day, it started without any problems whatsoever, even through the winter when I noticed that alot of newer cars were having problems. The engine comfortably handled speed of upto 115mph - I never pushed it faster than this due to the age but I think it could have handled it.

It was very nippy - I was only 17 at the time, so sometimes I just liked to bear down, wheelspin, and race the car next to me (silly I know) but It never let me down. Shifting through the gears was no ...

• Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.4l (1995)
      problem and It could easily do 0-60mph in 10-12 seconds which for a 1398cc engine is pretty damn good. I beat many other cars like that - lots newer than mine.

Fuel consumption is where I really loved this car - 34mpg around the town, upto 48mpg on the highway - On a car of this age, how can you really beat that? I dont think you can.

The only two problems I ever had with it was a drop link problem in the

front passenger side wheel which was a 20 euro job to fix and I had to get the battery changed once, for a cost of 30 euros.

If anyone ever needs to pick up a cheap runaround, for a couple of months or a couple of years, you can pick these up in the newspapers or on Ebay for around £400-500 pounds. I recommend the 95-96 models as these were the most reliable in my opinion.

All in All - I rate this car 10 out of 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91510494350831/k2311a1015/10.15.08