Toshiba Portege M300  » Laptops  »
  • I have always wanted a notebook computer and I was pleasantly surprised when my parents sent me to a school with a compulsory notebook program
  • However, the good that comes out of this is that it has a high quality Toshiba keyboard, which is almost whisper silent, although the touch-pad is small and insignificant

• by Bran.don.Loo

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I have always wanted a notebook computer and I was pleasantly surprised when my parents sent me to a school with a compulsory notebook program. The Toshiba Portege M300 is a sturdy, robust notebook, designed to give students like me an edge in learning.

While I was delighted when I first received it, in late 2005, I gradually became more computer literate and I have found out that this is actually one of their ‘worser’ notebooks.

It is horrendous - it is slow (1.1 Ghz Intel Pentium

M and 512mb RAM, with space up to 1.25gb), after I got into downloading content, like games and especially music and videos, the 50gb hard drive is barely sufficient - I could copy it 3 times over to my 160gb iPod if I wanted to! The other major qualm I have is related to its power level - after around 6 months, the battery level dipped from its expected 4 hours to around 2 hours. Even now, 3 years later, a 100% recharge means 100 minutes or less of power. The ...

• 12.1 inch screen, at full brightness is quite dull although it is non-reflective. The battery heats up quite quickly and the fan is quite weak.

However, the good that comes out of this is that it has a high quality Toshiba keyboard, which is almost whisper silent, although the touch-pad is small and insignificant. It could have a more powerful wireless connection and infra-red, but it is not disastrously slow (at around 54mb/s). The LAN is quite good, delivering a line speed of up to 400mb/s. The optical drive is also

good. However, the ’stereo’ speakers were absolutely dull.

Overall, considering this notebook comes in a brilliant silver aluminum frame and is meant for school use - Office Applications (ran Office 2007 alright - could be faster though) and research, with a hint of iTunes etc, this notebook is quite capable of doing that. However, as soon as you get into heavy downloading or demanding games, this notebook will be bound to fail.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 631510493790731/k2311a1015/10.15.08