Michael Waltrip  » People  »
  • I believe him when he says he would not do that ever because of his family
  • I believe Michael, and I think he learned from that lesson about how to run a successful team
  • He knows his sponsors well, and he is about the best at promoting them, whenever possible
  • Still, his commercials are fun and upbeat, and his plugs can add some humor to otherwise serious, teetering on boring moments
  • I probably disagree with Michael's opinions about 60% of the time, but I do love to listen to him a great deal

• by Orrymain

Michael Waltrip is the driver of the Napa Number 55 Toyota in the NASCAR series. He’s also the owner of Michael Waltrip Racing that currently fields a three-car team. Love him or hate it, one thing this man is, is colorful.

I can’t say I’m a fan of Michael’s, but he is oftentimes fun to watch. He gained my attention and a small amount of loyalty a few years back, when DEI screwed him over. That’s a blunt way to put it, but it’s pretty much what happened. Though he was racing well, they plucked his crew chief away because Dale Earnhardt Jr. had a tiff with his cousin the crew chief. Later, the

two patched things up. In the process, DEI had essentially let Michael go after that season. Eury Jr., crew chiefing for Waltrip, promised him he would not abandon him that year. Right. He was gone within weeks, back to Jr., their fences mended.

The next year was the fiasco at Daytona. I honestly believe Michael Waltrip that he didn’t know about the cheating that went on there. I believe him when he says he would not do that ever because of his family. He told a story that ripped his heart apart, when his daughter asked her mother why Daddy had cheated. I believe Michael, and I think he learned from ...

• that lesson about how to run a successful team.

Waltrip truly understands the marketing aspect of his job as a driver and now owner. He knows his sponsors well, and he is about the best at promoting them, whenever possible. In fact, sometimes, you really want to just tell him to shut up aleady: we know Napa is your sponsor (there you go, Michael, another Napa mention :}). Still, his commercials are fun and upbeat, and his plugs can add some humor to otherwise serious, teetering on boring moments.

Michael’s a good driver, but he arrived in his older brother’s shadow, and then was sent packing from DEI. As a result, I’m not sure he really

gets the credit that he should. Nevertheless, he surprises folks with great runs from time to time.

I probably disagree with Michael’s opinions about 60% of the time, but I do love to listen to him a great deal. I admit that there are moments when even I have had enough. Still, his self-effacing humor shows he can take the heat about himself and his career. He certainly livens up a telecast when he’s a commentator (such as for the truck series) or guest panelist.

Though Jeff Gordon and Carl Edwards are my favorites, I’d like to see Mikey pull out a win before he stops driving. I think he’s due at least one more.

Elizabeth says :

Didn`t know you could cheat in this racing sport. Would be interesting to expand on that in another review -

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521410493500931/k2311a1014/10.14.08