Kaplan University  » Education  »
  • Ultimately, I settled with Kaplan mostly because of my personal experience in dealing with the so called admissions representatives
  • But I do recognize how this setup may be a problem for many other people

• by Harry Trotter

Just like many others I have decided that it is time I tried to complete my education, but find it troublesome to sit in a classroom (possibly full of kids), and to study with a schedule that does not compliment my life. So I searched the Internet and was looking at online universities. I looked at the obvious selections such as University of Phoenix and Kaplan University. Ultimately, I settled with Kaplan mostly because of my personal experience in dealing with the so called admissions representatives. Actually, what killed the deal for University of Phoenix was that the person I was dealing with seemed to have the mentality of a child. But that’s a different topic all together.

I’m approaching my third term with Kaplan in the

Computer Information Systems program and this is my current assesment. This is not the environment for someone that lacks self motivation and has difficulty with learning on their own. This is not a place for traditional learning and if personal interaction with other students and teachers is what you will need to succeed forget about this as an option. The fact is that the only teaching that occurs is what you teach yourself during study.

Most professors do not make themselves readily available and that is understandable. Most are moonlighting with Kaplan and hold real jobs such as being a professor for a real university, or working full time in their field. They generally slate one day during the week, for usually about two hours, where they can be reached through something like an instant messenger. Email is not a good system because some do not check their emails until the above mentioned time, or sometimes it seems they just do not check period.

The virtual classroom environment can be unsettling as well. There are no classroom tools offered, and most sessions tend to be chaotic with students firing off questions and professors unable to keep up. Most times I will see questions being asked going unanswered because the professor just did not see it in the chat room style envrionment. It leaves a lot to be desired and it makes me wonder if anyone has ever considered spending a few dollars in designing a more classroom friendly interface for these things. It is ...

• Kaplan University
      difficult for students to be recognized because there is not a queue system. I have heard professors say you can send private messages to them and other students, but that must be a feature that needs to be enabled by the professor because I have only seen it once and that was with my first class. Every class after seem to have that feature disabled. Even if that was not the case there needs to exist a more user friendly tool for that purpose.

All in all, it is not a practical learning environment and if most higher education concepts are foreign to you then you are not going to fair very well. However, it happens to work out great for me because I am very capable

of learning on my own and have been managing a 4.0 with very little effort. But I do recognize how this setup may be a problem for many other people. Especially, for individuals that have never attended a traditional college in their life.

This is just a rough breakdown of a couple of aspects concerning Kaplan’s online learning. There are many other aspects that I have not discussed that I find to be quite good. I am on a reimbursement program with my employer and thus far my experience in working with Kaplan on this matter has been impeccable. I personally enjoy how the learning and financial arrangements are laid out. I just do not believe that this is a model method of pursuing higher education for everyone.

Kaplan University

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501410493460931/k2311a1014/10.14.08