Taj Mahal Agra  » Travel  »
Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India
  • I should tell you , how much I was impressed
  • I had seen Taj in photos hundreds of times, but to see it in real time is all together a different experience
  • It is definitely worth a visit in your lifetime

• by rakshit

Taj Mahal - one among the seven modern wonders of the world. It is a monument built by Shah Jahan, Mughal Emperor in 17th Century in memory of his queen Mumtaj. It is located in Agra, India on the banks of river Yamuna.

I knew about Taj right from my childhood, but I got the opportunity to visit this monument only a few months back. I should tell you , how much I was impressed. This is one of the greatest architectural wonders I have ever seen. I had seen Taj in photos hundreds of times, but to see it in real time is

all together a different experience. It is much larger and much grand than what I expected.

The location of the tomb in itself makes it stand out. It is just on the banks of Yamuna and to see the river flowing by, form Taj is a great experience. I had only seen the monument since my childhood, but never knew that Taj spans over a hundred acres. It has grand gates on all three sides (fourth side is river) and beautiful landscapes.

Coming to the monument, it is totally made of white marble and literally shines in the Sun. It is much larger than ...

• my expectation (close to a 10 storey building). After climbing on to the platform I realized that Taj is just not plain marble, but has many inscriptions detailing the love story of Mumtaj and Shah. We went around the tomb and I observed that the four minars(pillars) had doors. You can never see these doors in the photos. The guide told us these minars were actually to guard the Mahal and that soldiers used to stay on these Minars looking out for enemies.

Inside the Mahal, you can find the tombs of Mumtaj and Shah side by side. This is where you may get

slightly emotional as the guide explains how their story ended in sorrow.

Then we came out and took snaps all around the place with our camera (snaps are strictly prohibited inside the mahal). I was totally wonder struck by the beauty of the Mahal and admired the skill of the people who could construct such a thing 300 years ago. It is definitely worth a visit in your lifetime.

Note: Taj is closed on Fridays Do not use camera inside the Mahal There will be professionals who give you a photo(very good) for Rs 50/-

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381410493250931/k2311a1014/10.14.08