Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner  » Movies  »
  • It's sad, but I'm not sure we've learned all that much since '67
  • Aside from the message, it's just a wonderfully acted and well written script

• by Orrymain

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner is just a fabulous movie, rich in theme and substance. No matter how many times I watch this 1967 classic, it still touches my soul.

The performances just can’t be matched. Hepburn and Tracy, in their last coupling together on film, are dynamic, and Sidney Poitier — well, he’s perfect for this.

The self-examination of all the characters is alluring. I just can’t turn it

off. It always makes me think, because we can still learn from it. Maybe that’s why the film is so powerful. It’s really as topical today as it was when it was made. It’s sad, but I’m not sure we’ve learned all that much since ‘67. Oh, we’ve made a lot of progress, but the issues expressed in this movie still need to be addressed, and not ...

• just in the context of inter-racial marriage, but in other aspects that are dividing our world today.

There are touches of humor thrown in with all the drama, and that keeps things flowing beautifully, but it’s still the message of the film that permeates. When Spencer Tracy gives his final speech to all the guests at his home, he commands our attention. What’s more, he’s talking as much as Spencer

to Katherine as he is his character to his character’s wife. There’s emotion there that jumps out, off the screen, and it touches our hearts.

The film should be required viewing in schools. Tolerance is something we still need improvement with. Aside from the message, it’s just a wonderfully acted and well written script. It’s one that never grows weary for me.

If you haven’t seen it, please do.

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111010491760931/k2311a1010/10.10.08