Creative MuVo V100 MP3 player  » Electronics  »
  • I bought my 2GB player in November of 2007 and have been very pleased with it
  • Storage size and price are easy to compare between models but I found that some other characteristics are even more important
  • That's really a minor issue though because that 75MB audio file would represent 10 or 12 hours of listening
  • I'm not an audiofile, but even I adjusted the sound and noticed a significant improvement
  • I'm very happy with mine and would strongly recommend it to others with similar needs

• by The Mad Reviewer

The Muvo V100 by Creative Labs is a portable MP3 player, available in 1GB and 2GB sizes. I bought my 2GB player in November of 2007 and have been very pleased with it. There are so many MP3 players for sale now that it’s very difficult to choose between them. Storage size and price are easy to compare between models but I found that some other characteristics are even more important.

I use my MP3 player primarily for listening to books on tape (called ’spoken word audio’ in current parlance) so I needed one that was compatible with content from Audible.com. The MuVo is great for this. It sync’s up with the Audible software quickly and reliably, making it easy to download books to it. It supports USB 2.0, but the write speed of

the onboard memory chips is fairly slow. It often take four minutes or longer to copy an entire 75MB book to it. That’s really a minor issue though because that 75MB audio file would represent 10 or 12 hours of listening. It’s really not much of an inconvenience to spend a few extra minutes transferring a book file when you only do it once per week.

The MuVo V100 has very few controls - volume up and down buttons on the side, a power button on the front, and a little roller wheel switch which controls the menus. The roller switch is hard to describe but remarkable easy to use, especially with one hand. With a bit of practice, you’ll learn to navigate the menus without having to look at the display. It feels ...

• a bit flimsy, but has stood up to extensive use for almost a year so far without complaint.

The sound quality is fine, even with the low-end ear buds that are included with the player. You can adjust the sound by choosing from the preset profiles or use the equalizer to create the tone you prefer. I’m not an audiofile, but even I adjusted the sound and noticed a significant improvement.

There is feature of the MuVo V100 that I especially like that few if any other MP3 players have. It’s powered by a single AAA battery, and is not rechargable. There’s nothing more frustrating than wanting to listen to your player only to discover that it’s completely dead. I bought a big package of AAA batteries on sale and it will last

me for at least a year. I never have to wait for it to recharge. The manufacturer claims that a battery lasts for 10 hours of listening. I have found that it lasts even longer, at least 12-14 hours in my experience.

One reason the batteries last so long is that it doesn’t have a fancy color display. I wanted a player with a minimal display because I don’t need to see any more than the menus and the song titles. A color display just adds to the cost and eats your batteries faster.

The MuVo V100 mp3 player was the perfect model for my needs. It has good tone, sufficient storage space, is easy to use and does not require recharging. I’m very happy with mine and would strongly recommend it to others with similar needs.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16910490181231/k2311a109/10.9.08