Roland GX-24 vinyl cutter  » Hardware  »
  • I bought it to cut heat transfer material for t-shirts
  • Unfortunately, I also discovered that you get what you pay for
  • I don't like that fact that you have to go through the setup procedure for each cut
  • It's an easy problem to solve (hold it down with your hand while the looks for the edge) once you understand what's happening

• by The Mad Reviewer

The Roland GX-24 is a professional computer-controlled vinyl cutter. I bought it to cut heat transfer material for t-shirts.

Two years ago I bought an inexpensive knock-off cutter on ebay to see if this type of equipment would be useful for my business. It turned out to be very useful, and has opened up several new markets that have been quite profitable. Unfortunately, I also discovered that you get what you pay for. The cutter had frequent hardware component failures and constantly needed replacement parts. This was bad enough but the parts came from across the country and took a week to arrive! Even when it was working there were regular malfunctions which wasted a lot of time and expensive material.

So I bought the much more expensive ($1500 versus $400) Roland GX-24.

I’m glad that I did. It’s been running smoothly for 4 months now. Not only is it infinitely more reliable than my old cutter, it actually cuts better, particularly on thinner materials. The result is sharper graphics, less time spent weeding (removing unused vinyl) and no wasted material. These factors alone will make it pay for itself very quickly, not to mention the frustration it is saving me.

The operation is a bit different than I was used to. I don’t like that fact that you have to go through the setup procedure for each cut. It would be much better if you could set defaults for the setup options.

A big plus is that you can have the GX-24 advance the material past the used area so you can cut your next ...

• job immediately without manually resetting the origin. It would be better still if it allowed you to specify the blank space that it leaves. You can only select 0mm (not enough) or 20mm (too much). This seems to be a function of the drivers so you cannot change it.

The optical registration mark detection system seems like a great feature but I have never had the chance to try it. It does run into trouble loading material that does lay flat. While sitting rolls, the material tends to curl a bit, which causes it to lift up about the optical eye when you try to load it. It’s an easy problem to solve (hold it down with your hand while the looks for the edge) once you understand what’s happening.

The GX-24 can

handle a wide range of material sizes, but it has very unusual restrictions on where you load. I was very confused about why it rejected some odd sized pieces until I finally understood how it worked.

I would also like it to have a third pinch roller. I haven’t had a problem with it yet, but I would expect the material to move while cutting large pieces, especially at high speed. Another roller would provide better support and more accurate cuts.

Physically, it’s a very sturdy unit. The stand is solid and built to last. Unfortunately the tray that holds the roll of material occasionally causes a jam. A simple roller on the back of the stand would be better.

Overall it’s a great machine. It provides excellent performance and solid reliability. It’s expensive but worth it.

rayan sibai says :

i have roland gx 24 vinyl cutterhow to operate

Jules Li says :

You can actually get the electronic user’s manual, which includes the instructions by going to stahls.com. This is the manufacturer’s website. You will have to do some searching to find it, but it’s available.

yohmar says :

is there another cutter that is compatible with the roland gx-24 for its price?

Danny Diegos says :

I would try any audio technica products as these seem superior to many others, but i know denon has very nice vinyl cutters. Good luck

Galega says :

Yes, there are many cutters which are similar to Roland GX 24. The choice will depend on your affordability. I would suggest trying USCutter Vinyl Cutter MH 34, which is widely considered to be the best available at affordable cost.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33910490171231/k2311a109/10.9.08