United Airways  » Airlines  »
1.0
  • The first bad experience with United Airways was when I booked a flight, requested a wheelchair which was then confirmed via email, I got to the airport, my guy and I went to the counter and said I would need a wheelchair
  • I think the thing that gets me the most is that the people that work for this airline act like this is how their business runs every day
  • I consider myself to be a fairly laid back person, but even for me, this cavalier lack of professionalism was just awful

• by KeeperoftheChaos

I don’t fly all that often, maybe twice a year at most. Over the years, I’ve watched the quality and customer service for most airlines go down the tubes. I can remember when you really were made to feel appreciated on a flight. Now, you’re often held hostage on the runway for extended periods due to delays of one sort or another, treated as though you’re bothering the flight attendants for asking for assistance, and one by one, the little amenities that made a flight go by a little quicker have been removed from the agenda forever it seems.

While I can’t really say that I have a favorite airline anymore, I do have one or two that I can’t and won’t deal with. One of them is United Airways. No doubt, they come through with some of the lowest airfares when I search on Travelocity or Hotwire, but after three flights in a row that went from bad to worse, I find myself willing to spend the extra $30-$40 to take my chances with Delta.

I went through a period of time a few years ago where I had very limited mobility due to a spinal injury. When I traveled, it became necessary to request a wheelchair when I booked my flight. The first bad experience

with United Airways was when I booked a flight, requested a wheelchair which was then confirmed via email, I got to the airport, my guy and I went to the counter and said I would need a wheelchair. They checked me in and said to go have a seat and they’d get the wheelchair. One hour and 40 minutes later, no wheelchair. At that point, we asked a third time whether or not they had called for a wheelchair for me and they said they had.

Long story short, I got to the airport over two hours before my flight and due to their negligence, I missed my flight which of course made me miss my connecting flight. What should have been a little four hour plane trip turned into a 15 hour nightmare.

The second time I risked it and flew with them, the wheelchair assistance was not much better, but then to add to it, our plane was an hour late arriving, an hour late leaving and I missed my connecting flight again. I think the thing that gets me the most is that the people that work for this airline act like this is how their business runs every day. It was almost in a scary way, business as usual. I can’t imagine how people that ...

• are on deadlines deal with this. I consider myself to be a fairly laid back person, but even for me, this cavalier lack of professionalism was just awful!

Believe it or not, a third time when I had to fly for an emergency, I tried them one last time. When I requested the wheelchair, the ticketing agent asked if I could walk from the gate to the plane. I told her yes, I could. I just couldn’t walk long distances through the airport. She said “Well I can call you a wheelchair, but it’s probably going to be awhile. They just took someone else.” So I looked at my watch and I said “Well my plane doesn’t leave for another hour. Is it going to take longer than that?” And she looked at me with a look of annoyance and said “It’s not that far to security and your gate. You should probably just walk. I can’t promise you that they’ll be back in time to take you”.

My not walking in the airport has nothing to do with not wanting to. I had been told by a spinal specialist not to do any walking more than I had to while undergoing treatment. I had already had one back surgery and was scheduled for another. But

that wasn’t even the point. Who is this reservation agent to decide for a customer if they are well enough and physically able to walk unassisted. Last I knew it didn’t say MD after Susie United Airways lady’s name.

The rest of the trip was similar. No one big major grievance, just a whole lot of unnecessary little annoyances that one shouldn’t have to deal with every time they decide to fly somewhere. I can understand a late plane now and then or a delay on the runway now and then, but it seems to me United Airways has a whole lot of employees with a bad disposition and they are the most disorganized airlines I’ve experienced to date. I should not get off of my 6-8 hour trip feeling stressed out so much that I need to choose whether to take a nerve pill or have a glass of wine to calm down. It’s supposed to be a relaxing thing to get away. If I could afford the gas, I’d drive from now on.

Oh and to put the cherry on the cake top? They lost my luggage upon arrival at my destination. Things that make you go hmmmm. I’m rating them a “2″ and they’re only getting that because at least the plane didn’t crash.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 40910489811231/k2311a109/10.9.08