Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead a movie  » Movies  »
  • Now although I am not a particuarly violent or mean spirited person I have to say that I found this movie very interesting
  • And three it definitely kept you guessing somewhat
  • But I have to admit I love the title and I love the opening phrase that is completed by the title

• by Tarra

Before the Devil Knows you’re Dead (2007) is directed by Sidney Lumet and stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei and Ethan Hawke.

Now although I am not a particuarly violent or mean spirited person I have to say that I found this movie very interesting. For one the opening line on the screen is fulfilled by the title

of the movie. Two Hoffman always plays rather odd roles that stick in your mind long after the movie has been gone. And three it definitely kept you guessing somewhat.

So on suspense I give this movie a 6.

On drama I give this movie a resounding 9.

On proper choices of roles I give this movie an 8.

And on overall tying up of scenes I give this a 7.

Some movies do not do so well with the jumping of scenes back and forth and tying up in the end. Well, the director did not do so bad with this one.

As for the violence, well at one point I did not know when ...

• Before the Devil Knows You're Dead a movie
      it would end. There was no life changing moment for the main character who had basically lost evreything, including his mind, to his own selfish greed. And as for Hawke’s performance it was rare to see him in such a wimpy role. And the chemistry between Tomei and Hoffman was left to be desired, but
      then again maybe that was the point of their relationship.

And the ending will either disturb you as in leaving you hanging, relieved it is over, or just asking why?

In other words you will feel much better about your own life. But I have to admit I love the title and I love the opening phrase that is completed by the title.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11910489391131/k2311a109/10.9.08