Goya Jack Mackerel in Brine
  • Luckily, I found some cans at my local Mexican supermarket

• by Sarah B

Recently I got the craving to make my grandmother’s old world fishburger recipe, which calls for a can of jack mackerel. However, after looking on the shelves of the two nearest supermarkets for the usual brand I buy, Chicken of the Sea, I couldn’t find any. The spot on the shelf where the mackerel is supposed to be was empty! In fact, it’s been empty now for several months.

Luckily, I found some cans at my local Mexican supermarket: Goya

Jack Mackerel: Mackerel in Brine. They have a red label and are fifteen ounces. These are wild caught in the country of Chile. They are also very fresh, having been canned just in May 08. The ingredients are very simple: mackerel, water and salt. Each can was just over a dollar, so they are a good value as well.

I have never bought this brand before, so I was unsure what I might find inside. Still, I was very ...

• pleased with the result once I opened it. The can was well packed with two fish and what little space remained was filled with brine. The few bones in the fish were easy to remove as well. The fish were easy to break into pieces to put into my recipe. They also had the familiar taste of mackerel that I expect. When I opened another can the following week to make the recipe again, that can was well packed
        with fish as well (two fish to be exact). It’s clear to me that Goya cares about both quality and quantity. Some brands, as you know, may put more water in the can than fish, but not Goya.

All in all, Goya is a great brand if you need mackerel. So if you have been searching for cans of mackerel and can’t find any (as I had been), try your local Mexican supermarket and look for Goya. I think you’ll be well pleased.

Anne Carter says :

How will the mackeral last after opening. I feed my dog, this also.

Galega says :

It should be finished within one month of opening the can. Unopened Mackerel can be used for prolong duration - 3 to 5 years. Once opened, you can increase the shelf life. For that, you should consider keeping it in cool and dry place. Storage condition will have large impact on the duration for which you can have opened Mackerel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27910489291131/k2311a109/10.9.08