T-Mobile Prepaid Service  » Cellular services  »
  • Right before I switched, I believe the rate of AT&T was 25 cents per minute, and text was 5 cents to send and receive
  • As a person who doesn't text much, I found T-Mobile's plan and rates to be much more reasonable
  • I know that in certain areas T-Mobile had better coverage than AT&T, so coverage would depend on region
  • In terms of phone selection, T-Mobile definitely has one of the better choices for prepaid plans
  • I find this plan very convenient get the most out of my money by following it

• by Bailey

Before I switched to T-Mobile’s prepaid plan, I had been using AT&T’s prepaid plan. My main reason for the change of carriers was because of AT&T’s expensive rates. Right before I switched, I believe the rate of AT&T was 25 cents per minute, and text was 5 cents to send and receive. The rate I’m getting at T-Mobile now is 10 cents per minute, 10 cents to send text, and 5 cents to receive text. As a person who doesn’t text much, I found T-Mobile’s plan and rates to be much more reasonable. For $100, I can get twice as many minutes with T-Mobile than AT&T.

T-mobile allows you to charge several different dollar amounts at a time. The general rule is that the more you charge at a time, the longer the balance will stay in your account and

not expire. I usually charge $100 into my account at a time, which does not expire until a year later and gets me 1000 minutes. If you charge less than that, the balance will expire in 90 days. Having a whole year before my balance expires frees me from worrying about not charging my account on time each month or every 90 days so that I don’t lose my balance. When I used a different prepaid plan way back in Canada, I ended up losing half my account balance because I forget to charge my account on time each month.

In terms of coverage, T-Mobile is pretty decent. I live just a bit outside of the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan, and I get good coverage in most places, although I have poor signal at home and some parts of my ...

• school. I find that I generally have signal when I need it, especially in places like the highway. I have to say, however, that AT&T has relatively better reception in my area than T-Mobile, but the much lower rate of T-Mobile made the occasional bad signal worth it. I know that in certain areas T-Mobile had better coverage than AT&T, so coverage would depend on region. I’ve also taken my phone on a trip down the east coast, and got pretty good reception in places like New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

In terms of phone selection, T-Mobile definitely has one of the better choices for prepaid plans. I know for a fact that AT&T’s phones were rather hideous and low-tech, and when I signed up with them I ended up paying the full price (without contract) for a phone

that’s not offered as a prepaid phone and putting the prepaid plan on it. T-Mobile’s prices for their prepaid phone packages are also very reasonable (and less expensive than AT&T’s). With as little as $20, you can get started with a phone. If you don’t like any of their phones, you can always buy an unlocked phone online or elsewhere and sign up with them.

Overall, I would highly recommend T-Mobile’s prepaid service, especially if you get good T-Mobile coverage in your area. I think it’s more suited for people who don’t need to make lengthy phone calls and only use it about once a day or so, which is what I do. I find this plan very convenient get the most out of my money by following it. Other than the occasional bad reception, it is as great service for its price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 22810488920731/k2311a108/10.8.08