The Leopard Mask - The Guin Saga Book One by Kaoru Kurimoto  » Books  »
0.5
  • I think it's clear that this book was translated from Japanese
  • I highly recommend you avoid this boring book and I regret I wasted time reading it until the end

• by Sarah B

Once again here is another book that tricked me by its cover. I admit when I checked it out from the library I had absolutely no idea what this novel was about - I only knew I had picked it up from the Fantasy/Science Fiction section. The front cover showed a leopard face and neither the back cover nor the inside flap of the dust jacket gave a summary of plot - just a list of characters. I think

it’s clear that this book was translated from Japanese.

I started reading it when I got home and it turns out to be fantasy. It had a prince and a princess (twins) hiding from soldiers in a dark and dangerous wood, a forest that was apparently filled with extremely dangerous supernatural creatures. The woods were so dangerous they had to spend the night hiding in thorn bushes. Soon the soldiers catch them and then a huge warrior wearing a leopard mask shows up. He rescues the kids, although he doesn’t know them. The princess decides it would be best to befriend this warrior, as they need his protection. I quickly learned the children had no idea how they had gotten into the woods (they had previously been in the throne room of their kingdom, which was being attacked) and the warrior had no idea who he was, either. Nor did he know why he was wearing a leopard mask ...

• The Leopard Mask - The Guin Saga Book One by Kaoru Kurimoto
      or why the mask was glued to his face.

Most of the book was mindless battles. In fact, the plot seemed to jump from battle to battle. The end of the book had answered none of the questions. The kids still didn’t how they had gotten where they were and the warrior (named Guin) still didn’t know who he was except his name. Normally characters change and learn things through the course of a story but these didn’t seem to

change at all. If there was a theme, it must be violence, as I didn’t notice any other - although they did help each other out. Still, I would have preferred to have a few of the questions answered. When the book ended, they were facing new enemies so it’s clear they had gotten nowhere at all and the mindless violence would continue endlessly.

I highly recommend you avoid this boring book and I regret I wasted time reading it until the end.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17710488330231/k2311a107/10.7.08