BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DVD  » Movies  »
  • I loved the movie Brokeback Mountain as I paid attention to the fact that it was very subtle in giving the decade that each part was to be about
  • I know a man who did get married in the 60's, just to get around the investigative process of why he wasn't married
  • No, I did not approve of him doing that, anymore than I approved of the companies making such an issue out of a person's private life
  • Had these two met in the last few years, this would have been a perfectly respectable gay couple, I believe
  • If you have a problem with people who don't look or act the way you have decided is the ONLY way to be, you won't like this movie

• by covenly1
      I loved the movie “Brokeback Mountain” as I paid attention to the fact that it was very subtle in giving the decade that each part was to be about. In the sixties, being gay was totally taboo. Men did marry, so as not to appear gay. If the men did NOT marry, they were subject to total scrutiny in their personal lives by possible employers! The Telephone Company did not even hire gay men! I know a man who did get married in the 60’s, just to get around the investigative process of why he wasn’t married! No, I did not approve of him doing that, anymore than I approved of the companies making such an issue out of a person’s private life! Both were wrong, in my view. The movie doesn’t really have anything to do with cowboys in its meaning and its parts that were of a beautiful love affair that, these days, could have been a long term relationship. It could not have been during the times it was depicting.

It is important to realize that one fellow was engaged, and had no idea nor intention of being gay. He was as shocked as anyone could be, to be drawn to the other man. He felt guilty about their first sex act, and made sure to

tell the man that it was a one time thing, “I’m not GAY!”. The other man was all out gay, as the movie goes on to show, very well. His marriage was a sham.

It was a coverup, that didn’t pan out too well for him, in the ending of the movie. The movie shows how the decades pass, and how changes in accepted lifestyles came to be. Had these two met in the last few years, this would have been a perfectly respectable gay couple, I believe. It is true that the one fellow DID travel to Mexico for sex with men, and that WAS part of his sham. He did NOT have the same morality as the man who found himself shocked to be attracted to a man.

There were a couple of things that bothered me about the movie as being too stereotypical. For one thing, to put gay men watching sheep is rather an odd way for a movie to begin. The last thing I didn’t like, was that the ‘fallen’ man’s clothes were kept in ‘the closet’ of the man who loved him, in memory of him. Sheep and ‘in the closet’ struck me as a strange way to begin and to end a movie. Although, it may have been exactly what the director ...

• was going for!

I felt sad.

as I watched, as it was plain that many people were involved, counting entire families, in this love that I believe was a love, destined to end badly. The movie keeps reminding me of parents who do not accept their gay or lesbian children, as they are. If you are thinking that I have no right to have an opinion on that, remember, I have been very open about having one most glorious gay son. Mine is in the medical field, and intends to be a doctor, when he is totally educated. He is NOT what he, himself, calls a ’slut’ gay person.

He’s probably had less partners than most straight single men, being 36 and having had 2 relationships in his life. I think it is important for people to understand that the two men portrayed in this movie were different, in that respect! One had only one gay relationship. One had many. I believe one had sex, while the other made love. The fact that both had become married members of the community, considering the dates, was not the least bit unusual.

That’s simply how it was done in ‘those’ days. This movie was a lesson in society’s history, as much as anything else. For those not old enough to understand

how things were in the 60’s, I think this movie would appear to be just a bunch of messing around on wives. I loved the movie. It was reality brought into homes who do not like to see reality as it is, sometimes.

Gay men DO get attacked, beaten, and ridiculed for no reason. I say ‘no reason’ as it is none of my business what one does in his/her private life, as long as each person is a nice person when in contact with all of us. I don’t believe it should be a taboo thing, I don’t believe it is any more acceptable to beat up a gay man than it was to hang black men for the sake of ‘just doing it!’. I’m one who appreciated this movie, very much. I know of many men who married and had children in the 60’s, only to come out of their closets in the last few years.

It’s a fact of life. Truth is good. If you are one who sees people as people, not as differently colored, or differently sexually oriented, you will enjoy this movie. If you have a problem with people who don’t look or act the way you have decided is the ONLY way to be, you won’t like this movie. Personally, I loved it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11190448780430/k2311a0419/4.19.06