Books on CD for Children, Five Children and It. By Edith Nesbit  » Books  »
  • Me, being the oldest I decided something needed to be done
  • I tried unsuccessfully to put on some music, but as our ages ranged from 7-17 no one could agree on anything
  • I would not only recommend this book on cd, but any book on cd

• by Meg Isaacs

Growing up as one of four very active children and home schooled by our mother, there was never a dull moment. We also all loved reading and a good adventure story! That is, if we were ever able to sit still long enough to hear one read aloud to us.

One summer our mother had rented some books on cd from the library in preparation for a cross country road trip we were planning to take later that week. After we all had gotten back from the library we were told to clean the kitchen, living room, then help with dishes and laundry. It was the last thing the four of us wanted to do as it was mid afternoon and the pool in our backyard seemed to be calling our name. But we really had no choice; so

with somewhat sour attitudes we started on the chores. Within a matter of minutes of “cleaning” things only seemed to get worse as sudsy dish water ended up all over the floor, the clothes were being thrown about and someone was crying about the unfairness of life.

Me, being the oldest I decided something needed to be done. I tried unsuccessfully to put on some music, but as our ages ranged from 7-17 no one could agree on anything. So as a finale resort I reached for the books on cd and decided it wouldn’t hurt to try one of those. After briefly reading the back of the cd cases I chose Five Children and It.

It is a story set in the early 1900s about five children who lived in London and were sent to summer in the vast countryside ...

• of Kent. As the title states, there are five children, Cyril, Anthea, Robert, Jane and baby Hilary. (Hilary also being referred to as “the lamb”) Each of the children had distinct different personalities, which made it easy to identify with at least one of them.

In the first chapter they go out exploring the countryside and find a gravel pit that they decide to play in. While digging around they find a sand fairy. He’s an ugly, grumpy, old little creature who must grant them one wish every day. Then at sundown everyday the effects of the wish ware off.

The book chronicles their adventures as each day they wish for many things children all through time would wish for. Things such as money, good looks, the ability to fly and even castles. Everything sounds like the perfect dream

come true, but as we see, things are not always as what they seem.

The story quickly caught everyone’s attention with the way everything was described in such detail, that you could not help but feel you were right there with the children and seeing everything that they were seeing. The book on cd kept everyone’s attention for a solid four hours that night. We then finished it the next day.

I would not only recommend this book on cd, but any book on cd. They are easy to carry around and you can listen to them in the car or while doing a number of other things around the house. There are so many books on cd for children out there, that no matter what the age or type of story your child likes, you’re sure to find many books on cd to listen to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17610487691231/k2311a106/10.6.08