Hungry Man Boneless Fried Chicken
  • Just ten years ago, I wouldn't go near a Swanson dinner, which had fallen behind the frozen food wars in my opinion
  • A year or so ago, though, I decided to try their Hungry Man Boneless Fried Chicken, and here's why
  • It bugs me to have food intermingle so much, so I don't like it that my mashed potatoes end up with pieces of chicken in it, or that when I go to eat them, it can't help but run into the chicken, giving me potato-y chicken that I don't like
  • Neither do I enjoy kernels of corn in my brownie
  • I've never been disappointed in the rest of the meal

• by Orrymain

Frozen dinners have come a long, long way. Just ten years ago, I wouldn’t go near a Swanson dinner, which had fallen behind the frozen food wars in my opinion. A year or so ago, though, I decided to try their Hungry Man Boneless Fried Chicken, and here’s why.

I long for a chicken frozen food that doesn’t come with gravy. I hate gravy, and I hate having to wipe away gravy from food when it comes with it. I’ll never understand why even ‘diet’ frozen foods continue to offer gravy with chicken, meat loaf, and whatever else they offer. I’d love to see a product just offer the meat, and that’s what the Hungry

Man dinner does.

This entree also comes with mashed potatoes, corn, and a brownie, all in the usual film-covered black tray. It is easy to make: remove the film over everything but the corn, puncture a hole or two over the plastic that covers the corn, and cook for about 35 minutes. Of course, it would be nice if someone figured out a way to have that plastic film come off of everything but the corn more easily, but that’s a minor situation to deal with.

The thing that still bothers me is the mashed potatoes, which are cooked in the same compartment as the chicken. I like my food to be separate. Call it a quirk,

• but my grandfather was the same way. It bugs me to have food intermingle so much, so I don’t like it that my mashed potatoes end up with pieces of chicken in it, or that when I go to eat them, it can’t help but run into the chicken, giving me potato-y chicken that I don’t like. Neither do I enjoy kernels of corn in my brownie. So, there is some caution to be had in keeping each food to itself, if you care about that, like I do.

The more important part is the taste. Actually, the chicken tastes pretty darn good. It’s got some spice to it, and it’s pretty tender.

The potatoes taste

good, too, and are soft and unlumpy, which is something that is important to me. The corn is juicy and sweet, and the brownie is a fudgy delight, most of the time. My only complaints on the food, taste wise, is when it just doesn’t cook all the way. That’s probably me or my oven, but every now and then, the brownie lacks its pizazz and is a little flat. I’ve never been disappointed in the rest of the meal.

It’s still frozen food, but it’s come a long way from the plastic taste of old.

Hungry Man has its place in the frozen food wars, and I’m grateful its given me a fairly tasty way to enjoy more chicken.

Michael Rogers says :

Hey if you want to have a good frozen boneless fried chicken dinner without the gravy you can get the Marie Callender Country Fried Chicken and Gravy. The gravy is in it`s own separate packet and can be discarded easily.

Orrymain replies :

Really? I`ve seen that, but I thought it was like all the other frozen foods and mixed in. I love Marie Callender products, too. Thank you sooo much I`ll pick up one the next time I`m at the store and check it out. lol - I`ll probably review it, too Thanks again

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27610487471131/k2311a106/10.6.08