The Weight Watcher’s Diet Program  » Health  »
  • I think people go on diets wanting some miracle to happen like yesterday
  • I never had a problem with this requirement because I always drink water all day
  • I've often said that if they would do something to take the corny element out of the meetings and make some changes to make them a bit more interesting, they'd have everybody signing up
  • I've been to other meetings though and they really are boring and hokey

• by Keeper of the Chaos

It seems as though I’ve always been on one diet or another since I was about 13. I’ve had varying degrees of success with them and the only one that had any substantial results and a sustained weight loss was when I went to Weight Watchers with two of my Aunts.

I think people go on diets wanting some miracle to happen like yesterday. Even on Weight Watchers, it isn’t going to just fall right off of you. It takes determination and patience no matter how you choose to lose.

One thing that helped immensely with Weight Watchers was that I wasn’t going alone to the meetings. With both my Aunts also doing it, we had power in numbers so to speak. We were able to stick with it better because we didn’t feel alone.

Weight watchers puts you on a point system. You don’t have to count calories or fat grams. What you do have to do is track how many points you’ve used and keep a journal to track it. They have a formula that figures

the points out based on the calorie, fat and fiber content of any given food.

They have a chart that helps you to determine how many points you can have a day based on your height and weight.

Realistically, you can have cheesecake for dinner as long as you count the points. Obviously foods that aren’t so healthy for you ultimately have a higher point count. Once your points run out though, you’re done!

They also stress that you should drink 8 glasses of water each day. I never had a problem with this requirement because I always drink water all day. I’m amazed though at how difficult that one little element of the program is for most people. So many people complain at the meetings that they can’t stand drinking all that water. I guess I’m lucky in that regard.

The meetings are really corny to be honest. I’ve often said that if they would do something to take the corny element out of the meetings and make some changes to make them a bit ...

• more interesting, they’d have everybody signing up. When I did go with my Aunts, we had a really funny leader though and she kept you laughing and wanting to come back. I’ve been to other meetings though and they really are boring and hokey!

At the beginning of every meeting, they weight everyone and mark it in your book along with whether you are up or down from the week before. Then during the meeting, they usually list off anyone who had a decent loss for the week.

The meetings vary pricewise depending on where you live. I think I was paying $11/week when I went. They charge a registration fee too, but many times during the year, they run a special and have free registration.

You get a lot of moral support by going to the meetings and it is a proven fact that those that stay for the meeting really do better with the program in the long run. It shows that they are commited to losing weight. So many people just come, sign up, get the materials

and then just come each week to weigh in and then they leave. More often than not, these are the people who quit or give up when the scale isn’t moving downward.

Weight watchers is really an easy program once you get the hang of it. When I’m eating really healthy and using the point system, I have a tendancy to get full before I’m even out of points. It almost automatically teaches you how to eat healthier because you end up wanting to find foods that are low in points and you fill up faster too because they usually have the most fiber.

I got to within 5lbs of my goal when I was going there. Since then, I moved and haven’t had the money to go to meetings and life got in the way. I’ve put some of the weight back on, but not all of it. I do speak highly of this weight loss program though because it’s the only one that ever really helped me lose weight and I didn’t have to starve to do it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34610487321131/k2311a106/10.6.08