Utopia by Lincoln Child
1.5
  • I was quite excited when I found this book on the library shelf as I have enjoyed most of the novels by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
  • In my opinion, they have a knack for writing thrilling stories that take unexpected turns and have surprise endings
  • Of course, they make it far more interesting than it is in real life
  • Perhaps he wanted to try something new, but I think he should stick with what works

• by Sarah B

I was quite excited when I found this book on the library shelf as I have enjoyed most of the novels by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. In my opinion, they have a knack for writing thrilling stories that take unexpected turns and have surprise endings. Most of their books also deal with ancient objects or archeology: one of my main interests. Of course, they make it far more interesting than it is in real life.

Still, this book was clearly something different. For one, it doesn’t deal with old things at all. In

fact, it’s a high-tech story. Mr. Child has also written it by himself and perhaps that’s why it’s so different. Perhaps he wanted to try something new, but I think he should stick with what works: weird old stuff.

Utopia is a futuristic amusement park located in an isolated valley out in the Nevada desert with no easy way in or out. Guests must ride a sky lift over desolate but beautiful canyons just to enter the park itself. Robots control the rides, it uses hologram technology and there’s a thing called the metanet ...

• (the computer system that controls the park) . As you can probably guess, the park starts having problems, the rides malfunction and people die. The inventor of the metanet, Dr. Warne, was visiting the park with his teenage daughter when the main action starts. Enter a bunch of criminals and well, there’s your plot. I found the book vaguely interesting, but it was not what I had hoped for. There were no big surprises, no plot twists and no unexpected ending. All in all, I found it disappointing. If you like action stories
        with guns, snipers, computer hacking and/or terrorist plots, you might enjoy this book. The attempt at a romantic side plot really didn’t help any. I’d rather read “The Ice Limit” than this.

My real test of a book I’ve read is how long I can remember it after I read it. Dull books I forget quickly, but excellent books I remember years after I read them and I still haven’t forgotten “The Ice Limit”, “Thunderhead” or “Riptide”. As for this one, I know I’ll forget it quickly as there is nothing all that interesting about it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17610487051131/k2311a106/10.6.08