Ikaruga For Nintendo Gamecube  » Games  »
  • The graphics here are definitely not worthy of a graphical score of a 10, let alone an 8, as some Treasure pole-smokers rate it
  • The problem is that the gimmick gets oversold, for once you get to the 3rd Level the game heavily becomes more of a quick reflex puzzle game than a shooter, obviously attempting to really drive home on it's polarity gimmick
  • I believe when I had this on the DC it took me all of about 3 or 4 hours to master
  • If you're a shooter fan up for something with a new gimmick, I don't think you'll be disappointed dropping a ten spot on this one

• by Cronos

What can I say that hasn’t been said about this one already?

First off… Although it’s supposed to be a sequel to Radiant Silvergun, besides a few level start animations I have to say it hardly resembles it’s predecessor. In fact I recall being more wowed by Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn than this one. Maybe my memory is jaded as it’s been years since I played Silvergun… But I remember that was my impression with Ikagura on the DC and it still was my immediate thought after playing the GC version. In any case… The graphics here are definitely not worthy of a graphical score of a 10, let alone an 8, as some Treasure pole-smokers rate it! The game is old… It looks old. It even looked a bit old when it

was new! Gimmie a break!

It’s a short game even for a shooter. Only 5 levels and even the levels feel a bit shorter than the average shooter level. Were talking about 20-25 minutes here. That’s more of a decent game play time for a gun shooter where ya have to stand up and hold a gun up at the screen nonstop…. But this isn’t one of those.

The white and black polarities type of game play is just another shooter gimmick, but for the first couple of levels it is a genuinely fun gimmick that works when properly balanced with shooter elements. The problem is that the gimmick gets oversold, for once you get to the 3rd Level the game heavily becomes more of a quick reflex puzzle game than a shooter, obviously attempting to really drive home on it’s polarity gimmick… And IMNSHO that’s a big MEH! What had been an action packed fun challenge that is typical of shooters, suddenly felt more like a memorization chore. If the game had been properly balanced throughout as it started as… I’d likely have rated game play an 8 or even a 9!

But is it as insanely hard as I’ve heard? Let me put it like this… Like any shooter or SHMUP (As some have decided to call them these days), it’s a challenge that demands repetitive and tenacious game play to master. But once you learn it, it’s like riding a bike. Like any other shooter really. I believe when I had this on the DC it took me all of about 3 or ...

• Ikaruga For Nintendo Gamecube
      4 hours to master. Like Silvergun, the total playtime is clocked, so the more times you spend on it, you get little game play bonuses that will make the chore easier and easier. Difficulty ranks about an 8… Typical shooter that requires a level of tenacity harking back to the oldskool! Now if you start on hard difficulty, you’ll likely get your ass handed to you Ninja Gaiden style, but master it on Easy or Normal… Hard won’t be so much of a whoop when you tackle it. Kinda like going into Guitar Hero on Expert when you’ve never taken a guitar lesson in your life.

Would I recommend it? For the current $10 on Xbox Live? Sure… If you’re a shooter fan up for something with a new gimmick, I don’t think you’ll

be disappointed dropping a ten spot on this one. If you want the ole’ hard copy version for the DC or Gamecube…. For the $30-50 you better be a shooter collector if you want to drop that kinda loot. Maybe not a bad deal either for the Wii owner looking for something other than the all the shovel ware, Gamecube re-releases, and Mario re-hashes flooding that system. I certainly rather play this than Ratatouille or Bratz! Than again, the game is only about 25 minutes long.

On a scale of 1-10… I’d give it a 7.0 all around the board for the casual gamer. Hardcore shooter enthusiasts with a personal slant might find it to be more of an 8.0 all around. Most people interested in this one will be of the latter category.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28210486351031/k2311a102/10.2.08