The New World Movie  » Movies  »
1.5
  • It would have made sense if it was more developed without question, but the problem was, it isn't

• by Paul
      Last night I was able to walk down to the local movie theatre and view “The New World. ” This was a film I was pretty excited about to see because it was rarely released to local theatres, plus Christian Bale was in it. Well, I don’t drink alcohol, but after this viewing, I felt like I just might have drank something before it started. It was possibly the most confusing film I have ever watched.

And if you think about it, it was merely a story about Pocahontas and John Smith falling in love. Something completely forbidden. If I do my research, something tells me this film was about 4 and half hours long before the edit job

to a brief 2 and a half hours.

The first 30 minutes are more confusing than my love life. It made absolutely no sense. First there on a boat, then they meet the “Natives”, then they shoot one, John Smith (Colin Farrell) becomes their friend somehow, but then is captured, almost killed and then is allowed to fall in love with Pocahontas (Q’Orianka Kilcher).

It was weird. It would have made sense if it was more developed without question, but the problem was, it isn’t!

As I sat there in my seat thinking, well maybe this is only the beginning, it happened the entire film. There were times where I knew what the balls was going on for ...

• about 20 minutes and then BOOM! Let’s switch it up on ya! It was insanely nuts.

To top off this wretched film, Christian Bale, who plays the part of John Rolfe, is used very poor. He shows up with 30 minutes left in the film and who knows how he got there because they never explained it. His first scene he is sitting in a house somehow, no one knew he was there and then falls in love with Pocahontas after John Smith has left her.

To top this off, the ending did anything but leave me breathless, it left me more confused than I was 10 minutes prior to seeing it. Pocahontas meets John Smith one last

time, and it makes no sense. She smiles and walks away, but then she dies or something while John Rolfe leaves with their child back to Virginia (they were in London).

Then Pocahontas is seen running around the grass. That was it. If anyone understood this film, my hat goes off to them.

I now understand why they hid this film from people here in the U. S. The only plus about this film was the cinematography was very good.

The picture looked great, but honestly, it’s not enough for someone to watch. Unless you in for a good night for being clueless and lost, stay away from this when it’s released on DVD in May.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11180448620430/k2311a0418/4.18.06