Betty Crocker Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes  » Food  »
2.0
  • Betty Crocker is a brand name that I know and trust, but they really dropped the ball with their Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
  • My Thoughts The first ingredient listed on the box is Idaho mashed potatoes, which I thought was a good sign
  • I think that I will use real potatoes in the future, even though it takes a little extra time and effort to peel and boil them

• by Tessa Dick

Betty Crocker is a brand name that I know and trust, but they really dropped the ball with their Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

First, they are very high in sodium and they contain MSG (monosodium glutamate, which has been connected to migraine headaches and other health problems). In fact, the list of artifical ingredients is too long to copy here. That is not a good sign.

Second, they really don’t taste

all that good. They do have a strong garlic flavor, but it tastes artificial. The aftertaste is especially annoying, something like a mix between garlic and oysters. They make me burp, too. The texture is gooey.

Preparation:

You heat up a mixture of water, milk and butter or margarine to a rolling boil, take the pan off the stove and stir in the potato buds, which come in a sealed envelope that I cannot open without a pair of scissors. This package keep the buds fresh, but they still turn into a pasty goo, even after fluffing them up with a fork.

You get two packets in the box, and each packet will serve four people with generous portions. However, I couldn’t get through one portion.

My Thoughts

The first ingredient listed on the box is Idaho mashed potatoes, which ...

• Betty Crocker Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
      I thought was a good sign. However, the nutrition information shows that they have a total of 90 calories (160 after you cook them), with 15 calories from fat (70 after you prepare them). These are high numbers, and they even have some saturated fat and trans fat, before you add the milk and butter.

extra time and effort to peel and boil them.

These fast food potatoes have almost no vitamins and minerals, whereas real potatoes are a good source of potassium. In fact, potatoes are considered a complete food.

You can prepare these potatoes in the microwzve, and they do offer a reduced fat recipe, but I still think that real potatoes are a better choice.

Thank you so much for reading my review!

~~~

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27110483570831/k2311a101/10.1.08