Star Wars: The Clone Wars
2.0
  • I grew up on the original trilogy and enjoyed the recent prequels despite failing to capture the same magic that made the originals the classics they are today
  • Even if you consider it strictly a kid's movie it's very weak
  • The only problem is it's a plot engineered by the Sith to throw the Hutt clan and the Jedi into a war against each other
  • I hate to do it, but I can't say I recommend this movie to anyone but diehard Star Wars fans who must see all things Star Wars

• by Dolph

Before you read my review you should know I’m a HUGE fan of Star Wars. I grew up on the original trilogy and enjoyed the recent prequels despite failing to capture the same magic that made the originals the classics they are today. The Clone Wars, I hate to admit, didn’t capture much magic of any kind.

First it has to be kept in mind that this movie was originally never intended to be a movie at all. The game plan was for this to be nothing more than an animated cartoon series to air on a cable TV (Cartoon Network picked up the episodes that continue what this movie began). When George Lucas saw how good the animation looked he thought it’d be a waste not to see it on the big screen, and in turn we got this movie. Too bad it turned out to be a waste on the big

screen after all.

Now I’m not saying Clone Wars was that bad, it just wasn’t worthy of anything more than what it was originally intended to be: an animated series clearly aimed at younger fans of Star Wars. Although most of the animation was impressive the characters themselves, especially humans, looked very blah for lack of a better word. The worlds we visit, the many battles (and there are many) and some of the aliens look top notch and it’s then that I can see what George must’ve saw when he thought it’d be a good idea to make a movie out of this.

What really kills this movie is the story itself. Even if you consider it strictly a kid’s movie it’s very weak. Your average nine year old is going to roll their eyes at it. Basically Jaba the Hutt’s son has been kidnapped and it’s up to the Jedi to get ...

• him back. The only problem is it’s a plot engineered by the Sith to throw the Hutt clan and the Jedi into a war against each other. Sound exciting to you? Well it’s not.

Another of my big problems with this movie was the introduction of a padawan (apprentice) for Anakin. Why did this bug me? Mostly because she seems to outdo him at every turn. I didn’t like that. I mean we’re talking about the future Darth Vader here, arguably the greatest onscreen villain of all time and he’s being outdone by his young padawan seeing her first real action. All I want to see Anakin doing is kicking some series butt, not having to be rescued by his padawan. Is that too much to ask for?

What may have helped this movie out a bit would’ve been more of the actors from

the prequels lending their voices to their characters. Oddly, two that did were Samuel L. Jackson and Christopher Lee (Anthony Daniels as C3PO was the only other). I guess Hayden Christensen was too busy with other projects to do this I just hope it’s not Jumper 2.

I hate to do it, but I can’t say I recommend this movie to anyone but diehard Star Wars fans who must see all things Star Wars. If you’re a casual fan you’re going to be bored. If you’re one of those people who hate what George Lucas has turned Star Wars into this will give you more fodder to fire away with. Sorry, George, you’re still a genius and I give daily thanks to you for the original trilogy but even geniuses can have bad ideas from time to time. This becoming more than just a cartoon series was just that: a bad idea.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11110483310731/k2311a101/10.1.08