Silverado movie  » Movies  »
  • It immediately took me back to my childhood when I enjoyed the shoot em up westerns on Saturday TV

• by Manolo

Silverado stars Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, and Danny Glover. This is the classic cowboy western that was produced after its time and followed the successful formulas of great music, beautiful scenery, and familiar faces in supporting roles. When the movie first appears on the screen, we get to enjoy exciting music that gets the audience fired up for action.

I remember when I first saw this flick. It immediately took me back to my childhood when I enjoyed

the shoot em up westerns on Saturday TV.

I thoroughly enjoyed the four heroes in the film and love the scene where they are riding in a line on four different colored horses. Each became friends by saving each other’s life, and this was enough.

That quality is what made the cowboy film so exciting. Men and their horses was all that was needed to have an exciting enjoyable life.

It did not matter that one was a punk kid, that one ...

• was a black man, that one was a former gang member. All that mattered was that they had an united quest.

That quest was the opposition of the bad guy Cobb and McKendrick. Of course the quintessential wagon train, the saloon, the hangman’s lynch, and the shoot out were all there for familiarity.

Jeff Goldblum played the sneaky Gambler called Slick. Brian Dennehy was his usual bigger than life villain.

Jeff Fahey played the nasty fast gun, that we all love

to hate. At times, it was a little melodramatic as a young boy was taken hostage and set the stage for the final battle.

Oh, what a battle! Kline against Dennehy, Glenn against Mc Kendrick, Cline vs the gunfighter, and Glover against Goldblum. At the end our four heroes have a plan for happiness and go their separate ways into the sunset, or something like that.

So, even though Silverado had no originality nor special effects, it brought the audience back to simpler times, and that’s okay.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11110483220731/k2311a101/10.1.08