Perth Western Australia  » Travel  »
Western Australia
  • In my opinion, Perth Western Australia is the world's most liveable city
  • I base my opinion on a combination of undisputable facts, and also personal experience
  • For myself, I found it enervating, and uplifting
  • On a recent visit to Perth, I set out for an early morning jog and was impressed with the wide open spaces, magnificent views of the growing city skyline, and abundant birdlife

• by Alan Benge

In my opinion, Perth Western Australia is the world’s most liveable city. Far fetched ? Not really. I base my opinion on a combination of undisputable facts, and also personal experience. Firstly, imagine a city which has an average of eight hours sunshine daily, all year.

And this is quality sunshine, not the damp humid heat of other sundrenched places. Perth heat is a dry heat, without humidity. For myself, I found it enervating, and uplifting.

Cynics may say that Perth gets extremely hot in summer. Over 40 degrees C in fact. To that I would say, you are right, but this favoured city has a lifesaver in the form of a cooling breeze that sweeps up the beautiful Swan River on the hottest days, providing instant

airconditioning, courtesy Mother Nature.

This provides relief in the heat of the afternoon, just when it is needed. At other times of year, the climate may be described as Mediterranean. It is cool in winter, but not unpleasantly cold.

Frosts are rare. Some locals favour swimming at the magnificent beaches year around, and while this is somewhat bracing in winter, at most times of year, the clear waters are a welcome relief to hot sunny days. Another point in favour of Perth.

It is a planned city - in other words, some thought and consideration has gone into its design. The industrial sectors are set apart from the central city, and there is open space galore in the form of parks, cycleways and the sparkling Swan River. If ...

• you are into outdoor pursuits like myself, you will revel in the miles of cycleways, the well-tended parks and the great opportunities for canoeing, rowing and watersports on the attractive river.

On a recent visit to Perth, I set out for an early morning jog and was impressed with the wide open spaces, magnificent views of the growing city skyline, and abundant birdlife. Along the cycleway, there were exercise stations for the more enthusiastic athlete. Also, and again this is my opinion, I have in the course of several visits found that Perth has a pleasantly relaxed air about it, somewhat lacking in Australia’s larger cities to the East.

In turn, this seems to influence the people you meet - by and large they are a friendly lot who

still have time to have a chat. That is rare in today’s world. Because of its geographic location, Perth is one of the most world’s most isolated cities.

To the West, there is the open expanse of the Indian ocean, unbroken until it reaches the continent of Africa. And to the East, it is thousands of kilometres to a city of comparable size in Australia, such as Adelaide, or Melbourne. I found that this isolation was in fact one of Perth’s advantages.

It is big enough (1. 5 million people) to be a city with every modern facility, yet it still retains a pleasantly relaxed air that makes for a very liveable lifestyle. If you are into an outdoors lifestyle, enjoy meeting friendly people, you will enjoy Perth Western Australia.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382809479990930/k2311a0928/9.28.08