Daredevil Issue 274  » Books  »
1.5
  • Daredevil issue 274 was published in 1989, towards the end of Ann Nocenti's stint as writer for the series
  • I enjoyed Nocenti's writing at times, but the art by John Romita, Jr
  • So you can understand what I mean, consider the cast of characters
  • I know some people love his art, but he has to be one of my least favorite artists in the comics medium

• by shawn the writer

Daredevil issue 274 was published in 1989, towards the end of Ann Nocenti’s stint as writer for the series. I enjoyed Nocenti’s writing at times, but the art by John Romita, Jr. always turned me off to the extent I had a hard time enjoying even a good story. Comic books are supposed to be

the perfect blend of epic literature and engrossing and vivid visuals. When one half of that equation is missing, you can only hope for a medicore product at best.

This story, entitled “Bombs and Lemonade” is pretty ridiculous. So you can understand what I mean, consider the cast of characters. Somehow, Daredevil, the ultimate gritty urban hero finds himself surrounded by Barbie doll-like clone, a rebel environmentalist whacko, the rebel environmentalist’s evil father, and the Inhumans, who live on the moon and have superhuman powers from exposure to a special mist. Yes, it was a ridiculous story.

I have to comment again on the art. Romita’s art is so angular and ...

• Daredevil Issue 274
      unrealsitic, you are constantly reminded that these are comic book characters. There is nothing smooth or organic in the characters’ appearance. Characters’ hair is reduced a huge tangle of lines with no sembalance to reality. He seems to just insert lines on people’s faces to show dirt or emotion or whatever he wants to
      convey. I just cannot get past his style. I know some people love his art, but he has to be one of my least favorite artists in the comics medium. I give this story a 3 on a 1-10 scale. I only rate it that high because Daredevil gets to break up a cat fight.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172709479390330/k2311a0927/9.27.08