Acer Aspire One  » Laptops  »
  • I got my hands on the Acer Aspire One last week and I was very impressed
  • I like gadgets, be it an mp3 player or a gaming console or tablets, camera or whatever
  • And I found that to be a great combination for a notebook
  • Ofcourse it wasn't as great as my desktop and I think I can live with that
  • As I said, it ofcourse is slow then a desktop, but thats because it has the Atom processor which is definitely not as great as any of the dual core processors

• by Arif Ghadiali

I got my hands on the Acer Aspire One last week and I was very impressed. I like gadgets, be it an mp3 player or a gaming console or tablets, camera or whatever. I have a laptop and a desktop and have been thinking of buying a mini laptop, which is more commonly known as notebooks now. I have got my hands on Wind and EEE Pc and was contemplating what to go for. But was happy that I waited.

Coz Acer Aspire One seems to have pleased me more then any other notebook so far. Its fast and very responsive for a notebook, especially when compared to other notebooks in the market currently. The version I played with was with 1GB ram and 120GB harddisk drive and was

running Windows XP. And I found that to be a great combination for a notebook.

My desktop has the same thing. Ofcourse it wasn’t as great as my desktop and I think I can live with that. Its just a notebook and not a full fledged computer, like a desktop or laptop. Frankly, my laptop runs Windows Vista Home Basic and runs slow then Aspire One.

And anyways what I would need the notebook for would be for entertainment while travelling, thats my music and movies, and to check my mails on the go, most of the times. It has a wifi but am not too interested in that since free wifi connections are not available everywhere (though I tried that and it amazed me with its speed). I ...

• usually connect my laptop to the net via my Nokia N73 with a bluetooth when on the move and so I would certainly be using the same on Aspire One. But I had to make sure it works.

So I connected a Bluetooth dongle to Aspire One (since it does not have an internal bluetooth) and connected my phone to it. And wholla, it worked just great. It talks about a sim card slot but I didn’t wanna try my stunts on that since it did not belong to me. But as far as I can connect to the net via my phone, am fine with it.

I played the music and the sound quality is fair for a notebook. Though it sounded great on my earphones. Played movies

and they responded well. There were no jerks at all in the movie.

My friend, who owns this notebook, has already loaded it with Nero, Office 2003, Power DVD Player, and quite a few more applications which I know need a lot of memory to run, and suprisingly it still responded well. As I said, it ofcourse is slow then a desktop, but thats because it has the Atom processor which is definitely not as great as any of the dual core processors. But then you cant even have everything right. ? After all its just a notebook.

You cant expect too much from it. But still, its much better then any of the previous notebooks we have known so far. Next month when I get my paycheck, I am certainly picking up One.

Acer Aspire One
    Rob says :

Hi. How can I get my Acer Aspire One to connect to the internet. I can`t get it to find or connect to my router at home.

Jules Li says :

This is assuming that you have the wireless card enabled. If the computer is not detecting your wireless internet, it’s likely because you have the SSID disabled, which means that your internet is not being broadcasted. This is a security feature. I’m unsure of exactly which router you are using, but you should check it to see if this is enabled or not. However, if it continues you should also try re-installing your wireless card driver.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632609479100330/k2311a0926/9.26.08