Does It Matter by Alan Watts  » Books  »
  • The book is subtitled Essays on Man's Relation to Materiality, and I found this to be true, though he does touch a little on things in his other books, like the idea of how each one of us and the universe is really one organism
  • The idea that the sun is no different than our heart--that we can't exist without either and therefore are a part of the same organism--was interesting
  • I wasn't expecting a description of a kitchen from someone who I thought wouldn't concern himself with trivial things like food
  • I also enjoyed how he described chairs as being a crutch, and like a throne, and how beds and chairs were ridiculous things to have in a house
  • I'll definitely be taking a look at some of his other books in the future

• by ReviewDragon

I was recommended by someone to read Alan Watts, and so I picked up a book, not entirely knowing what to expect. The first few pages of the book made me feel like it was written by a person who knew something about the universe I didn’t know–something deep and profound.

Either the writing style lightened up a bit, or I got used to it in the first chapter, but the content was still deep and made me think either way.

The book is

subtitled “Essays on Man’s Relation to Materiality,” and I found this to be true, though he does touch a little on things in his other books, like the idea of how each one of us and the universe is really one organism. The idea that the sun is no different than our heart–that we can’t exist without either and therefore are a part of the same organism–was interesting.

I especially liked the parts where he goes into great detail about how bread has ...

• become lifeless, and what the ideal kitchen should be like. I wasn’t expecting a description of a kitchen from someone who I thought wouldn’t concern himself with “trivial” things like food. However, I found his description of the kitchen and food to be deep and meaningful. It made me want to have a kitchen and food like that.

in a house. He then goes on to talk about money, which I think would take a second read to fully grasp the meaning.

While I didn’t expect things like kitchens and chairs to be talked about on such a deep level, I found it enjoyable and refreshing. There was much more to the book, of course, and all of his thoughts and descriptions were worth of thought. I’ll definitely be taking a look at some of his other books in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172609478980330/k2311a0926/9.26.08