The Everglades  » Travel  »
1.0
  • I was taken aback by her reaction and I thought that she was just being sour
  • I wanted adventure and unfortunately, I got it

• by Michael Stephen

My family and I were in Southern Florida not long ago so we decided to stop by the Everglades. This was a dream come true of sorts because I had always seen documentaries on the Everglades but I had never been there. I was so excited to think of what we might see: a monkey, an eagle, maybe a panther. When we drove into the park.

We stopped at the welcoming center. There, they kept cards and t-shirts and other souvenirs. “Great” I thought “But I’m ready for adventure” ! I was so excited, I told my wife to hurry so that we could leave.

When I expressed

my enthusiasm for touring around the attendant that was on site, she rained on my parade. “I don’t know if it’s a good idea to go into the park today. The bugs are horrible” .

Imagine that. I was taken aback by her reaction and I thought that she was just being sour. We left out: “What nerve that lady has” I thought.

Forget her, I was actually ready to picnic right there in the Everglades. Yeah!

As I drove into the park, we looked at the peculiar looking trees and I scanned the place for any exotic wildlife. We traveled to a ...

• section of the park called “Flamingo”.

It was so beautiful! The sun was shining, the grass was perfectly cut all on the edge of what looked like a lake. But there was no one there. Not a soul! More room for us I thought.

This was the time. I prepared to get ready to picnic. We were going to stop by the restroom and walk around a little, then set up are picnic stuff.

When we stepped out of the car we found the wildlife. We were attacked… and I mean ATTACKED by a swarm of mosquitoes!It took less than a minute to get

the point as we all felt the mosquitoes sipping our blood. We retreated into the tourist’s center to try and buy some “Off” but there was a note stating that the “ranger” was out.

A cardboard chart provided a visual of mosquito intensity. We had arrived at the very height of it. When we were set, I manned up and sprinted to our rent-a-car and pulled up just in front of the center where wife, daughter and I boarded like three bank robbers trying to make a getaway.

I peeled out of there with the windows closed! In the aftermath, we each had several mosquito bites as sovenirs. I wanted adventure and unfortunately, I got it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382609478850230/k2311a0926/9.26.08