Rust-Oleum Dry Erase Writable-Erasable Finish  » Housewares  »
1.0
  • When I first saw this idea I thought it looked great
  • Well, this is probably the root of the problem

• by polyesterbride

Ain’t nothin’ like the real thing baby….

And that sure goes for dry erase paint. When I first saw this idea I thought it looked great. I could put a dry erase board right on the doors of my new desk, and it was in the ballpark of fifteen dollars. Great deal, right? Especially since I was going to end up with a pair of huge dry erase boards. WRONG.

The paint comes in two parts, and you mix them together, which causes

a magical chemical reaction that makes dry erase paint. Well, this is probably the root of the problem. After combining the two parts, you have to mix them and then apply within 2 hours. Well, I needed more than one coat. And to be honest, I’ve never painted anything that didn’t. So I needed three coats, and allowing for each coat to COMPLETELY dry before applying the next (which you’re supposed to do with any paint) it took over two hours ...

• to paint the doors.

I’ll never know if it would have worked had I somehow been able to apply the paint in the recommended time, because I’ll never try it again. The surface that I have is smooth, yes…but it’s just white paint. After waiting twice than the recommended 48 hours, I wrote on it with a brand new, high quality dry erase marker. I wiped it off…it didn’t come off. I panicked! I got a wet cloth. It came off

partially, but was still obviously there. So I got Windex and now, in dim lighting, you can’t tell anything was ever written there. But that would have been the case with regular paint, as well.

So in conclusion, don’t buy this stuff. It doesn’t work very well. In fact, I’d say it doesn’t work at all. On the plus side, I did call the customer service line (it said “Satisfaction Guaranteed”) and got a full refund. So…they’ve got that going for them.

Donna says :

can I use dry erase paint oover an old black board?

Galega says :

Yes, you can definitely use Dry Erase pain over an old black board. It is suitable for both walls and other stuffs where painting is done.

polyesterbride replies :

I didn`t try it either outdoors, or on a chalkboard. But here are my educated guesses as someone who paints A LOT. Chalkboard Hardly anything paints well over chalkboard paint. Good luck, but I wouldn`t try the dry erase, until after you`ve already covered it up. This paint is tempermental to say the least. Outdoors If it`s in a dry environment, at least for the application and drying process, I don`t see why it wouldn`t work. I`d keep out of direct sun, as that wrecks havoc on even regular paint. Of course, I wouldn`t recommend anyone ever use this paint, so I`m not sure why you guys are asking me.

cayenne roberts says :

What happens if it is used on something that`s outdoors?

Galega says :

I have used it on outdoor for changing the outlook of the exterior walls of my home. It works perfectly. In fact, there is nothing as such any special instruction about using it outdoor or indoor.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532309477710530/k2311a0923/9.23.08