Good Eats Thanksgiving Roast Turkey Recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I know she didn't believe the turkey would be done in only three hours

• by LeoFair

When I took over Thanksgiving dinner chores for my family a few years ago, I barely knew how to cook a turkey. I’d already made the classic mistakes of not giving the turkey enough thawing time and leaving the giblets inside the chest cavity with previous turkeys, but had no clue how to season it.

I could have just followed the instructions on the bag my frozen bird came in, but I really wanted to wow my family.

The year

I took over coincided with the year my local cable picked up the Food Network and with it Good Eats.

I liked Alton Brown’s detailed breakdown of each step in roasting a turkey in the Good Eats Thanksgiving episode and decided to follow the show’s recipe for it.

I’m sold on the brine recipe they give, although I’ve changed it up by adding rosemary and garlic.

After years of my grandmother’s by the bag birds, everyone was surprised by how ...

• juicy and flavorful it was.

The seasoning gets into every part of the meat every time.

What was fun was the fact that I was cooking at that same grandmother’s house and receiving some “classic wisdom” on turkey cooking as I went.

I know she didn’t believe the turkey would be done in only three hours.

When I put it in and told her it would be fine, she kind of nodded and smiled to herself.

Her amazed response when

it was fine makes my top ten list of Thanksgiving memories.

One thing I’m not thrilled with is the use of a probe thermometer to tell when the turkey is done.

Mine never seems to work as well as the one on the show, and I’m glad I tested the dark meat to be sure it was cooked with the juices run clear method.

I’d say just go by the estimated cooking times Alton supplies and use a regular meat thermometer once it’s out of the oven.

debra says :

Hi, I am going crazy for this recipe Alton Brown`s Good Eats Roast Turkey - brine, apples, etc do you have it? Foodnetwork.com has a photo and mentions it, but then I can not find the recipe. Thanks so much - Debra

LeoFair replies :

Hi, Debra. Thanks for your question. I checked around and Food.com has it here:

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 492209477141030/k2311a0922/9.22.08