Biloxi Blues
  • I think the mistake Biloxi Blues makes is in the script
  • But, if you're looking for a comedy about the military that is legitimately funny, this is one you probably should just avoid

• by Steve

When I got a chance to sit down and watch Biloxi Blues the other day, it was because I remembered it being a funny movie. Somehow my memories must be off because this movie was anything but. It was an OK film and gives a small insight into basic training toward the end of World War II.

But, while movies

like MASH and Stripes have had success making fun of the army, this movie really falls short of being a comedy. I think the mistake Biloxi Blues makes is in the script.

These are men who are in the army to fight the last justifiable war. Yet, all they do throughout the entire film is complain about everything from having to get out of bed early in the morning to the food.

I’m not talking about jokes. I mean they spend almost the entire movie whining.

As a person who grew up around the army, I’ve seen plenty to make fun of but, I will never be willing to listen to someone who joined voluntarily, complain about being in service.

• Biloxi Blues
      The only redeeming thing in this movie is Christopher Walken, who before I watched it again, I had no idea was the man playing the drill sergeant in this film.

He is awesome. He doesn’t play the stereotypical drill sergeant; you know the one who spends the entire movie screaming at his soldiers.

Instead, he quietly punishes those who deserve

it; usually by punishing the whole unit while the culprit has to watch and fear for his life later. I think he makes one of the best soldiers I’ve ever seen.

Is the movie worth watching; if you like war movies, of course it is. But, if you’re looking for a comedy about the military that is legitimately funny, this is one you probably should just avoid.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111909476460130/k2311a0919/9.19.08