Gus Frerotte
1.5
  • While I can understand the 0-2 Vikings decision to bench Jackson (though I disagree with it
  • I feel they should have spent more time trying to actually coach him), I think they are going to have a long season if they have to depend on the journeyman veteran to lead their offense
  • When coach Brad Childress described Frerotte, he said the veteran passer gave the team experience and was more aggressive

• by Steve

When the Minnesota Vikings named Gus Frerotte their starting quarterback over Tarvaris Jackson, my first thought this week was “Frerotte? Seriously?” While I can understand the 0-2 Vikings decision to bench Jackson (though I disagree with it. I feel they should have spent more time trying to actually coach him), I think they are going to have a long season if they have to depend on the journeyman veteran to lead their offense. When coach Brad Childress described Frerotte,

he said the veteran passer gave the team experience and was more aggressive.

I’ll agree with the experience part. Frerotte has played for 7 different NFL teams; including with the Vikings twice.

And, compared to Jackson, who has 16 career starts, that’s going to give them a bit more of an edge. Let’s examine that whole “aggressive” stance though.

Frerotte has 91 career interceptions compared to 102 touchdown passes. Sometimes aggressive isn’t necessarily a good thing if it means ...

• your quarterback is going to turn the ball over as much as he scores.

There is a reason he has a 74. 1 career passer rating and hasn’t managed to play well enough for a team to want him other than as a temporarily solution or injury replacement.

The Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins both got rid of him and those teams are desperate for a quarterback. I’m going to give Frerotte the edge in terms of passing accuracy when

compared to Jackson.

But, what he lacks is Jackson’s ability to run with the football. While I’m sure Childress would love to see his quarterbacks throw more than they run (most coaches do), that ability to scramble is what makes Jackson scarier to opposing defenses.

I see this move as a big mistake for the Vikings and I think this potential Super Bowl contender might find itself in trouble this season. In fact, I would be surprised if there wasn’t a coaching change after this year.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521909476161230/k2311a0919/9.19.08