Sanibel Island, FL  » Travel  »
Sanibel, FL
  • Sanibel Island is known for it's abundance of seashells and when I visited, I quickly discovered why the people seen walking the beach are said to be masters of the Sanibel Stoop It's funny, you are so caught up in the many many different shells that wash up especially if you catch the tide at the right time or they say after a storm, that you don't want to stop

• by Why Georgia

Just off the coast of Ft. Myers , FL is a tropical island that I call heaven on earth, but the residents and visitors call, Sanibel Island.

Sanibel Island is known for it’s abundance of seashells and when I visited, I quickly discovered why the people seen walking the beach are said to be masters of the “Sanibel Stoop” It’s funny, you are so caught up in the many many different shells that wash up especially if you catch the tide at the right time or they say after a storm, that you don’t want to stop. Hours and hours went by and my husband or I would say, “We really should

get back to the hotel to change for dinner” and then we’d walk another 30 feet along. And then one of us would say, “C’mon, we better go.” and it went on that way for another hour and a half before we finally decided we simply had to get going or miss dinner!

The first time we drove on the island, I was in love! It’s so tropical and so lush and the beaches of the most white powdery sand you’ve ever seen. We chose a small cottage to rent with a screened front porch that was just a stroll to the nearest beach. We only stayed a weekend,

• but I can’t wait to go back again.

There is lots of shopping on the island to keep a girl busy. Lots of little specialty shops that are fun to poke around in of a morning. When it comes time for dinner, there are a good assortment of different dining options. Seafood, of course being the main attraction and all levels of dining abound. There are other things to do besides, beaching, shopping and dining, but that weekend, we were all about relaxation and the beach!

We spent our time, laying in the sun, fighting with a pelican. Yes! He was mean and tried to attack us! We took some

bikes for a ride, did a little gift shopping, cooked out on a grill one night and grabbed a late bite to eat at a very fun, down to earth, and tasty place called “The Lazy Flamingo II”, where it seemed many of the locals hang out. We had some peel n eat shrimp and buffalo wings and conch fritters. We washed them down with some cold draft beers. What a great last night of a wonderful weekend!

Other people we know have gone to the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge and Bird Sanctuary. People also spend their time fishing, boating, playing golf, tennis. Whatever you go for, you’ll love it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475450130/k2311a0918/9.18.08