The Cliffwalk, Newport, RI  » Travel  »
Memorial BLVD at Easton’s Beach, Newport, RI
  • The next part of the walk that we come to is amazing and for a little while, even took my mind off my aching back and feet
  • After this section of the Cliffwalk, my friend said we couldn't go any further and I was almost disappointed
  • I wouldn't recommend doing the entire Cliffwalk unless you are in very good physical condition and sure of your footing
  • However I think most anyone can do at least a portion of the Cliffwalk if only the first part with the paved walkway

• by Why Georgia

When I was 9 months pregnant, well actually 9 and a half weeks pregnant, my friend got the bright idea to help induce labor by having me go for a walk. This was not just any walk however, it was the Newport, Rhode Island Cliff Walk.

I’d lived in Rhode Island my whole life, but I’d never seen the Cliff Walk. The Cliff Walk is a three and a half mile walking trail that is high up on the cliffs that rise about the Newport Shoreline. So here I am in the end of July in Rhode Island, waddling along this trail that occasionally seemed awfully narrow! You have to realize the drop off here is like 75 feet down if you were to fall or stumble. That, in and of itself made me nervous to say nothing of the fact that it was like 90 degrees in the shade that day! But I’m a trooper so off we go, me waddling along behind

my energetic friend, my belly extended like a beached whale!

As you walk along the path, you are sometimes more secure in your footing with the path being paved and fence guards in place along the walk. It’s just in certain areas that it becomes a bit more nerve wracking, but I was probably a nervous nut from being so pregnant and clumsy in my bulk!

After a little ways, she tells me we are about to get to the 40 steps. Oh good. That’s just what I need at this point. And there they are….40 steps that go down the side of the cliff and come out to this observation area above the surf.

Well, I’m not sure what was harder, descending or ascending the steps for me, but when I got to the top and back on the path, I was pooped. No sign of labor pains. No water breaking, just pooped!

So we pause for some cold water she brought in her backpack and then we ...

• trudge on down the path. The next part of the walk that we come to is amazing and for a little while, even took my mind off my aching back and feet. The Mansions that now make up Salve Regina University now and then the big Mansion, “The Breakers” which was built and owned by the Vanderbilts. Everything along this area, the surf, the cliffs, the mansions, their landscaped grounds are gorgeous!

The next section had us walking through tunnels and passing by more mansions. Beechwood, RoseCliff, from the movie, “The Great Gatsby” and Mrs. Vanderbilt’s Japanese Tea House that sat on the edge of the cliffs overlooking the ocean and lastly Marblehouse, that was made entirely of Marble.

After this section of the Cliffwalk, my friend said we couldn’t go any further and I was almost disappointed! I had actually begun to enjoy the walk and stop thinking about how rough it was to walk. But she told me that the last 1/3 of the walk was over rocky

shoreline and it was dangerous for even non-pregnant hikers. Later, she showed me some pictures of that part of the walk from a previous time that she and her brothers had done it. Although I surely didn’t want to attempt it while pregnant, it sure did look fun for another time though.

I wouldn’t recommend doing the entire Cliffwalk unless you are in very good physical condition and sure of your footing. However I think most anyone can do at least a portion of the Cliffwalk if only the first part with the paved walkway.

Most of it has places where you can exit out of the walk and get back to the street. There are even portable toilets at the 40 steps area.

If you get to Newport, RI, there are so many things to see and do, but this one was pretty unique and allowed a view that you just wouldn’t get from driving in a car. I recommend it. However, it does not induce labor!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475391230/k2311a0918/9.18.08