Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT  » Travel  »
75 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic, CT
  • I remember as a child going there on a field trip with my elementary school class and I never forgot how much I enjoyed that trip even though it was an educational trip
  • It's not only interesting, but fun as you come across storytellers and musicians all regaling stories and songs of the time
  • If you haven't seen it already or at least haven't seen it in a long while, I highly recommend it as a fun filled way to spend a day

• by Why Georgia

In mystic, Connecticut, there is this wonderful place that I had not visited since I was a child until recently. I remember as a child going there on a field trip with my elementary school class and I never forgot how much I enjoyed that trip even though it was an “educational” trip. That field trip was to Mystic Seaport.

At Mystic Seaport, they have re-created a 19th century New England Seafaring Village, complete with everything and everyone you might expect to see there. The buildings are all real shops that have been brought in from all over New England. The various tools, goods and equipment at each shop are the real deal from that era, be it at the Chandlery, the Hoop Maker’s or the ShipSmith’s Shop.

You can either go by horse and

carriage or you can choose to go by foot in and out of the 30 different buildings demonstrating the trades and tradesmen of another time. It’s not only interesting, but fun as you come across storytellers and musicians all regaling stories and songs of the time.

Moving on, go to the waterfront and explore one of the many ships of that era. The Charles Morgan, the last wooden whaleship is probably one of the most impressive of the seaport’s collection, which I was shocked to learn totals 500 in all! It’s hard to not be in awe of some of these ships as you explore them and wonder what it must’ve been like to have lived in that era and sailed and worked on these boats.

While I didn’t visit with kids, there were ...

• many in attendance the day that I visited this past spring. They apparently have lots of kid-geared activities now to hold the youngsters minds and attention for their visit.

When you’re done touring the village and the ships, there are several interesting exhibits you can check out.

The Maritime Gallery was my favorite with an award winning display of Maritime Art and Ship Models. I decorate my home with nautical decor and this was right up my alley!

They also have a Planetarium there, but I didn’t get to that and they have several different boat rides for an extra charge that range from Charter Boats to Sail Boats to Rowboats.

When you’ve seen enough and your stomach is grumbling, Dine at the “Seamen’s Inn” for a very nice meal and try one of the Seafood

specialties. Their Chowder is to die for! Everything here tastes fresh and it’s because much of their ingredients come from local farms.

For something less formal, you can eat cafeteria style at “The Galley”. I didn’t eat here, but it seemed to do a good business.

Oh and also, I almost forgot to mention, when we got to the Seaport, we stopped at the Seaport Cafe and Bake Shop and got a coffee and danish to start our day. Yummy! The Cafe is attached to Mystic Seaport’s Shop’s Museum Store which sells all sorts of maritime gifts and collectibles.

I completely enjoyed myself revisiting this old tourist attraction from my youth. If you haven’t seen it already or at least haven’t seen it in a long while, I highly recommend it as a fun filled way to spend a day!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475381230/k2311a0918/9.18.08